Tuesday November 19, 2013 MYT 2:49:43 PM
Baby Freddie kidnapping: Suspects released, police at dead end
KUALA LUMPUR: Police have release two people who were suspects in the abduction of baby Freddie Joseph on Nov 8 after their alibis checked out.
City CID chief Senior Asst Comm Datuk Ku Chin Wah said the pair were released after police were satisfied with their alibis.
“We have not made any new arrests and there have been no positive developments in the case so far,” SAC Ku told a press conference at the contingent police headquarters here Tuesday.
THE POLICE STILL WANT THIS MAN!
Wednesday November 13, 2013 MYT 9:24:24 PM
Cops believe more suspects involved in Baby Freddie’s abduction
KUALA LUMPUR: Police did not rule out the possibility that there are other individuals involved in the kidnapping of a British child, Freddie Joseph, in Bangsar here on Nov 8.
Kuala Lumpur police chief Datuk Mohmad Salleh said they had questioned the former maid who had worked with the child’s family, and her boyfriend who were arrested on Nov 10 but there was no positive result.
“So we suspect there are others involved. Hopefully, information about the kidnapping can be obtained by recording conversations with the victim’s mother,” he told reporters after attending the monthly police gathering at the Kuala Lumpur Police headquarters on Wednesday.
Ex-nanny and lover detained over Bangsar toddler’s abduction case
Police have detained the former nanny of Freddie Joseph, the toddler who was abducted on Friday, and her boyfriend, in connection with the case this morning.
The 39-year-old Filipina maid and her 53-year-old boyfriend, a technician, were picked up from their rented flat unit in Taman Desa here at 11am.
Kuala Lumpur police Criminal Investigation Department chief Datuk Ku Chin Wah said the woman, who has been in the country since 2004, was Freddie’s ex-nanny who was sacked six months ago.
Ku said police believed that the duo were involved in the alleged abduction case.
“We have reasons to believe that the couple involved directly or indirectly in the abduction,” he told a press conference at the Pantai police station today.
He said police have also seized several items from the flat unit but declined to reveal details.
However, he said the male suspect did not fit the description of a photofit distributed to the media.
“The person in the photofit is still not caught,” said Ku, adding that the couple will be remanded tomorrow morning and will be investigated for kidnapping.
KUALA LUMPUR, Nov 10 — Police today detained a foreign domestic worker in connection with the recent abduction of a 20-month-old British toddler from his home in the Bansar suburb here.
City Criminal Investigation Department (CID) chief SAC Datuk Ku Chin Wah said the 39-year-old suspect, a Filipina, was detained with her boyfriend, a 53-year-old local man, during a raid on a flat in Taman Desa at 11am this morning.
“We have strong reason to believe that they can either directly or indirectly help the case,” he said at a press conference here.
Sunday November 10, 2013 MYT 1:46:30 PM
Woman suspect detained in Baby Freddie kidnapping
PETALING JAYA: A woman suspect in the kidnapping of Baby Freddie on Friday is under custody.
It is learnt that the woman was picked up early Sunday. Police are also on the verge of picking up the male suspect in the case.
City police are expected to provide details at a press conference at 2.30pm.
The woman was in a Toyota Camry that arrived at the house of English language teacher Sarah Joseph at in Bangsar at about 6.30pm on Friday.
Two suspects nabbed in Bangsar baby abduction case
BY MUZLIZA MUSTAFA
November 10, 2013
Two suspects have been arrested today in connection with the abduction of 20-month-old British toddler Freddie Joseph on Friday.
Both were picked up in Taman Desa this morning.
Kuala Lumpur Criminal Investigation Department deputy chief ACP Khairy Ahrasa confirmed the news but declined to elaborate.
THE POLICE WANT THIS MAN!
Neighbours grateful for safe return of baby Freddie, as police continue surveillance
By YISWAREE PALANSAMY
November 09, 2013
Baby Freddie’s neighbours expressed joy and relief at his return about 18 hours after he was abducted from his house in Bangsar yesterday.
Upon the arrival of Freddie and his mother Sarah Joseph at the family home, neighbours were seen greeting the family with tears of joy and hugs.
However, security remained tight as police continued to monitor the house.
Some two hours later Sarah and Freddie were whisked off to the Universiti Malaya Medical Centre at around 4.40pm for the baby to undergo a medical examination.
Sarah’s brother Paul who spoke to the media later thanked those involved in the search for the toddler.
“We are just happy he is back. He is fine,” he said.
It is understood that Sarah teaches English at a private college in Taman Tun Dr Ismail. Her boyfriend and Freddie’s father, a Filipino, works abroad.
She lives alone at her house in Jalan Terasek 7 together with Freddie and a Filipino maid.
Residents want more action to improve security in Bangsar following boy’s abduction
BY ELIZABETH ZACHARIAH AND YISWAREE PALANSAMY
November 10, 2013
Following the kidnapping of 20-month-old Freddie Joseph from his Bangsar home, two neighbourhood residents associations want more to be done to improve security and safety in the area.
Bukit Bandaraya Residents Association president Datuk Mumtaz Ali said he had previously called on the authorities to improve security in Bangsar by installing closed-circuit television cameras (CCTVs).
Mumtaz urged the authorities like the police and City Hall to install CCTVs both in commercial and residential areas.
“This is why I have been calling for CCTVs to be put up as a deterrent, especially in strategic locations in residential areas around Bangsar.
…Mumtaz said his calls to intensify crime-deterrent measures had fallen on deaf ears
SAC Ku showing the photo of the suspect at the press conference Saturday.
Police release picture of suspect in Baby Freddie kidnapping
KUALA LUMPUR: Police have released a picture of a man believed to be the suspect in the kidnapping of 20-month-old Freddie in Bangsar on Friday.
City police CID chief Senior Asst Comm Datuk Ku Chin said the suspect, believed to be in his 30s, has fair complexion and around 168cm tall.
Ex-Mahathir press secretary among those who rescued baby Freddie
A former press secretary to Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad was among those instrumental in the rescue of 20-month-old Freddie Joseph who was kidnapped in Bangsar yesterday.
Datuk Zakaria Abdul Wahab was jogging at Lake Titiwangsa this morning when he saw a commotion near a toilet about12.40pm.
“I went there and saw two men and a woman with a Caucasian-looking baby. They told me they found the baby by the roadside in the park and had picked him up to comfort him,” he told The Malaysian Insider.
Zakaria, who is Bernama’s deputy editor-in-chief, said as there was a function in the park, they tried looking for the child’s parents, not realising that it was Freddie who had been taken from his Bangsar home yesterday.
The two men, a lorry driver and a bus driver, decided to call the police after failing to find the child’s parents at the park.
They also asked the woman to tend to the child while they sought help from the police.
Taking a closer look at the child, Zakaria’s gut instinct told him that the child could be the missing boy from Bangsar.
“At this point, I called my office and sent them a picture of the child. They then confirmed that the boy was Freddie,” he said, adding that Bernama then contacted the police.
Zakaria said the police arrived quickly as they always had two policemen doing their rounds in the park.
Mother and son, safe and together again!
Saturday, 09 November 2013 17:22
Cops release photofit of British boy’s kidnapper, admit suspects STILL AT LARGE
Ku said the photofit distributed to the media today was based on the description given by the people who tried to stop the kidnapper yesterday.
Saturday, 09 November 2013 14:02
KIDNAPPED British boy found: Abductors think twice after MEDIA STORM raised by MPs Written by Wong Choon Mei, Malaysia Chronicle
Media storm may have given abductors second thoughts
A relieved Sarah, who was due to issue a statement on the incident, rushed over to the Jalan Tun Razak police station, where Freddie had been taken. She is seen carrying Freddie in the pictures below.
Later, when mother and son were allowed to go home, their neighbors gave them an uproarious welcome.
Apart from underscoring the rising crime in Malaysia, the ‘Baby Freddie’ kidnap has also highlighted the power of the Internet and the social media network.
Both Nurul and Surendran, who is Sarah’s neighbor, had made repeated appeals to the public to look out for unusual or suspicious activity and to report immediately to the police.
Helped by their supporters, they created an enormous chain reaction on Twitter and the social media networks.
Indeed, the intense and high publicity probably made the abductors think twice about carrying through with their plan. Ruthless enough to use weapons, it is a blessing they decided to release the boy unharmed.
“Good work, everyone,” tweeted Elizabeth Wong, a lawmaker in Selangor state, who like the rest of the nation had been following the case with great concern.
“The kidnappers might be scared after realizing that police are looking for them and decided to return the toddler unharmed,” Kuala Lumpur criminal investigation department chief Ku Chin Wah told a press conference 2 hours after Freddie was found.
They found him!
Baby Freddie found unharmed at Lake Titiwangsa
Saturday, 09 November 2013 14:02
KIDNAPPED British toddler reunited with mom: Abductors STILL AT LARGE
Written by Malaysia Chronicle
Alone and hungry
According to national news agency Bernama, a lorry driver and a cabbie found Freddie wandering around the area at abut 12.20pm, some 18 hours after he was snatched from home by a machete-wielding couple.
Still in the same green T-shirt and white pants he was wearing a day ago, Freddie was exhausted and hungry.
“This morning I read the newspaper and there was news about a kidnapped child but I did not think it was him. When I approached him, he was quiet and not very scared but he seemed lethargic,” said cabbie Haris Mohd Nor.
Lorry driver Hamid Md Isa, who spotted Freddie first, said the boy was alone and looked very tired. He quickly went over and led Freddie to a nearby field.
The men then contacted the Bernama news desk, who came to the scene and alerted the police.
09 November 2013| last updated at 01:57PM
Baby Freddie found safe and sound
Saturday November 9, 2013 MYT 2:39:05 PM
Baby Freddie found in Taman Tasik Titiwangsa
KUALA LUMPUR: Baby Freddie, who was kidnapped in Bangsar, has been found at Taman Tasik Titiwangsa on Saturday.
City CID chief Senior Asst Comm Datuk Ku Chin Wah has confirm that Freddie is safe and sound.
Freddie’s family are on their way to the Titiwangsa police station.
|Hanin Fadiyah,||09 November 2013|
Nov 9: Freddie Joseph, aged 20 months, has been found at Taman Tasik Titiwangsa around 1.20pm just now.
Freddie was kidnapped from his home on Jalan Terasek 7 in Bangsar yesterday.
Kuala Lumpur CID chief Datuk Ku Chin Wah, confirmed Freddie was in a safe condition when found.
The victim’s family is reported to be on its way to the Titiwangsa police station.
TAKEN NOT FOR RANSOM BUT OVER ‘PERSONAL PROBLEMS’ (whatever that means).
According to City Criminal Investigation Department chief Ku Chin Wah, the abduction was not for ransom but because of “personal problems” between the family and the kidnappers.
One of the kidnappers is said to be known to the family.
The 38-year-old Sarah, who has refused to talk to the press, is believed to be separated from her husband. She teaches at a private school in the Malaysian city.
This is Freddy, 2o months old. He has been abducted.
PDRM hotline (according to their FB page) 03-2266 3333 or 03 2031 9999
Baby Freddie kidnapping: Family to give statement soon
HAVE YOU SEEN HIM?
Saturday November 9, 2013 MYT 10:04:05 AM
Kidnapped baby: Black button found at the scene of the crime
BANGSAR: Police have been stationed across the road along Jalan Terasek 7 where a 20-month-old toddler was snatched from his expatriate mother here Friday to protect a piece of evidence (a black button), which is to be collected by forensics personnel soon.
YAHOO! NEWS MALAYSIA
KUALA LUMPUR, Nov 8 — The man and woman who snatched a British toddler from his home in the affluent Bangsar earlier this evening likely knew his family well, city police said.
However, Datuk Ku Chin Wah, head of the City Criminal Investigation Department (CID), admitted that the police were stumped as to the possible motive.
“Until now, we don’t know their motives,” Ku told reporters at the Pantai police station here in a late night new conference.
“We suspect that they know the family,” he said, before adding, ”The mother did not recognise the man.”
Friday November 8, 2013 MYT 11:57:53 PM
Netizens join forces to locate kidnapped British toddler
PETALING JAYA: Twitter timelines were ablaze with netizens who sought to smoke out the kidnappers of a 20-month-old baby boy with rapid dissemination of information on Friday night.
The child’s expatriate mother, Sarah Joseph, had alleged that a man stormed into her house in Bangsar and abducted her son, Freddy.
It was a crime close to home for Padang Serai MP N. Surendran, who tweeted: “My next-door neighbour’s 20 month old baby Freddy, kidnapped just now in broad daylight in Bangsar.”
@HakimVanPersie laid claim to an eyewitness account of the incident: “First Time In My Life I Saw Two Kidnappers Kidnapped A Newborn Baby In Front Of My Eyes.”
In a Twitter conversation with his friends, he added that he could not do anything as the abductors, “a Chinese man and a lady” had pisau (knives) as weapons.
The admin of @myteksi, a taxi-booking app’s official account, also tweeted that the alert was broadcasted in Bahasa Malaysia to “a few thousand taxi drivers” and will be repeated every half an hour.
Lembah Pantai MP Nurul Izzah also sounded the alert to over 230,000 followers: “18-month baby kidnapped from Terasek 7 Bangsar. 2 suspects; armed, white Camry. Keep a lookout everyone! Every minute counts.”
UPDATED KUALA LUMPUR – The 18-month-old son of a British expatriate was abducted in broad daylight in affluent Bangsar on Friday evening by a machete-wielding couple who drove off with the toddler in a white Toyota Camry.
The family lives next door to N Surendran, a prominent lawyer and Member of Parliament for Padang Serai.
“My next-door neighbour’s 20-mth-old baby Freddy, kidnapped just now in broad daylight in Bangsar,” Surendran gave the alert on Twitter.
Nurul Izzah, the Member of Parliament for the area, also took to the social media to sound the alarm. She appealed to members of the public to keep watch and call the police if they spot any unusual or suspicious activity.
“They are a British family and the baby was taken from the house with the mother nearby. The mother, Sarah Joesph, was slashed fighting back,” a shocked Nurul told Malaysia Chronicle.
According to Surendran, the mother is a language teacher and apart from the slash injury, her toe was also broken.
“We hope the police will put in all efforts to find the baby soon. He is a lively child. I often see him playing in the porch area of the house,” Surendran told Malaysia Chronicle.
The incident is believed to have occurred around 6.20pm. The kidnappers barged into the house, taking the woman by surprise,
The man slashed Sarah when she resisted, grabbed the baby and passed him over to the woman, who was reported to have been wearing a hijab.
They ran out and drove off in a white Toyota Camry bearing the plate number BKP 4386.
— at Jalan Terasek, Bangsar.
Friday November 8, 2013 MYT 10:58:11 PM
Expat mum: My son was kidnapped in Bangsar
PETALING JAYA: An alert has been sounded for the 20-month-old baby boy of an expatriate mother, who alleged that a man stormed into her house in Bangsar here and abducted her son.
According to a family friend of language teacher Sarah Joseph, 38, the man burst into her home in Jalan Terasek at around 6.20pm Friday and took away her baby, Freddie.
At that time, Joseph was alone with the baby, having dinner on the porch while her maid was in the house, located near Jalan Telawi within the upscale neighbourhood and popular with expatriates.
It was believed that the man came into the double-storey link house and grabbed the baby from his chair.