Predeep Nambiar -July 14, 2020 12:42 PM
GEORGE TOWN: A cardiologist who initially pleaded not guilty to violating disease control laws by jogging at a park here during the movement control order (MCO) period changed his plea to guilty at the Magistrate’s Court here today.
Dr Ong Hean Teik, 61, was fined RM1,000 for jogging at City Park on March 19, the second day of the MCO, which was deemed a non-essential activity.
Magistrate Jamaliah Abd Manap ordered Ong to pay the fine under Rule 3(1) of the Prevention and Control of Infectious Diseases (Measures within the Infected Local Areas) Regulations 2020
Deputy public prosecutor Yazid Mustaqim Roslan later said a second charge against Ong of preventing city council officers from carrying out their duty had been dropped.
Published 12:56 pmModified 1:08 pm40A+A–
Consultant cardiologist Dr Ong Hean Teik, who insisted on going for a jog amid the movement control order (MCO), was slapped with two charges at the Penang Magistrate’s Court this morning.
According to Sin Chew Daily, he claimed trial to the charges under Section 186 of the Penal Code and Rule 3(1) of Prevention and Control of Infectious Diseases Regulation 2020.
Section 186 carries a maximum imprisonment term of two years and RM10,000 fine or both if convicted.
Whereas Rule 3(1) carries a maximum fine of RM1,000 or six months’ imprisonment or both if convicted.
The magistrate allowed the accused bail at RM13,000 bail and set June 9 for the matter to be heard.
The court also ordered the 60-year-old doctor to surrender his passport and to report to the police station every month.
By Audrey DermawanMarch 20, 2020 @ 7:34pm
PENANG: A consultant cardiologist, who has come under fire after a video of him engaging in a verbal exchange with Penang Island City Council (MBPP) enforcement officers for defying the Movement Control Order (MCO) was viralled, has defended his action of not staying home.
Dr Ong Hean Teik maintained that he did nothing wrong and instead blamed the council for closing the Youth Park where he had gone for a jog despite the MCO.
Speaking to the New Straits Times in his clinic at Jalan Burma this afternoon, Dr Ong argued that the MCO was not a confinement order.
He also contended that it was the council which should apologise to him after its officers had taken the video of his altercation, which has since been widely shared all over.
“Personally, I feel that I have not done anything wrong. I don’t think there is a need for me to apologise or feel ashamed for what happened yesterday. In fact I feel MBPP owes me an apology. Do I deserve this scandal to tarnish my image…” he said.
Dr Ong was caught in a four-minute video clip arguing with enforcement officers that the MCO was not an curfew.
He said when he walked into the Youth Park at 4.45pm yesterday, there was no one to stop him from going in or any wire or string put up to indicate that the place was closed.
He admitted to not seeing a sign put up on the Youth Park’s closure.
The exchange with the enforcement officers happened about 6pm as he was leaving the place.
Dr Ong admitted that the MCO was put in place to prevent crowding which may result in the spread of Covid-19 virus. However, he argued that a lone walker, exercising, should not be considered as ‘crowding’.
“The purpose of the MCO is not to crowd. Now, the second thing is stay at home. Is that right? I feel that is wrong because we still need to exercise,” he said.
He expressed hope that more people would understand his explanation and why he was contesting the implementation of the MCO.
“People are criticising me and it is a burden that I have to bear.
“I know the MCO was introduced with good intentions but we need to relook at its implementation. If the legal people come out and say HT Ong has disobeyed the law, then I am willing to accept that I am wrong, say sorry and I will follow the stay at home order next time.
“Right now, I am not clear,” he said.
No hiking, jogging for now, say police
- Friday, 20 Mar 2020
KUALA LUMPUR: No hiking, jogging and recreational activities are allowed during the movement control order (MCO), says the police.
Cheras OCPD Asst Comm Mohamed Mokhsein Mohamed Zon said people should exercise at home for the time being.
“The Prime Minister’s announcement was quite clear on the matter. The public should not go hiking, jogging, cycling or do any other health related activities outdoors.
“Its only for two weeks. Once the order is lifted, you can resume your daily activities as usual, ” he told reporters after conducting patrols to spread awareness on the MCO in Cheras yesterday.
“The Prime Minister’s announcement was quite clear on the matter. The public should not go hiking, jogging, cy
PETALING JAYA: A video is going viral showing police officers advising a man claiming to be a cardiologist defying the Movement Control Order (MCO).
The man who looks like he was working out at the park was approached by police who then asked him to leave the park. However, the man argued the MCO wasn’t a curfew and wanted clarification from the local council whether parks are prohibited places.
When approached by the police, the man seemed anxious asking them to maintain social distancing. The police, however, responded, “If you’re scared of being close to people, then go home.”
He was also asked by the police if he can read and told off despite being highly educated he wasn’t being as such.
GEORGE TOWN: A man who was stopped by Penang Island City Council enforcers for jogging in City Park here on Thursday (March 19) was defiant, arguing and refusing to return home desppite the fact that he was in violation of the movement contol order (MCO).
A four-minute video clip of the man arguing with council workers has gone viral on social media and has been shared over 21,000 times at the time of writing.
In the video, the man, who claims he is a cardiologist named Dr Ong, is seen asking the enforcers on whether the road he is jogging on is a private or a public road.
Towards the end of the video, the enforcers are still trying to plead with him to leave and go home.
On Wednesday (March 18), the MCO announced by the government went into force in an effort to contain the Covid-19 outbreak.