KUALA LUMPUR: The Royal Malaysia Police (PDRM) have denied allegations of not respecting and issuing statements contradicting the decision of the coroner court over the death of fireman, Muhammad Adib Mohd Kassim.
Inspector-General of Police (IGP) Tan Sri Abdul Hamid Bador in a statement said there were no facts which were skewed and untrue in his media conference on Friday (July 10).
“All facts presented were from investigations as well as latest findings and they were not to contradict the findings of the inquest.
“As of today, the case of Muhammad Adib is not closed, it is still going on under Section 302 of the Penal Code,” he said.
The statement was issued after the family of Muhammad Adib via his lawyers claimed that police were not respecting and were in fact contradicting the decision of the coroner court.
Abdul Hamid stressed that to date, there were no witnesses who really said he saw Muhammad Adib being beaten and all statements obtained were hearsays or opinions.
“Efforts are still being carried out to identify the criminals if there are. Several issues need to be investigated further following the decision of the inquest.
“If there was an attack as stated, based on witness opinions and experts, there would be marks of the attack and the investigation team is still studying the matter to nab the actual culprits,” he said.
In this regard, he said the investigation team was also investigating further witnesses found to be inconsistent in the three stages of statement recording before this.
“Similarly witnesses who revealed new information or explanation when giving their statements during the inquest should be investigated first.
“The issue of ‘dying declaration’ should be investigated further by the investigation team as it was presented at the inquest without being challenged or evaluated for its credibility as well as validity. Police can continued to conduct investigation through various angles and approaches to check all possibilities to solve the case.
“Arrest would be made if there were evidence or new explanation as carried out by the government in deciding for the inquest to be held,” he said.
Sunday, 12 Jul 2020 03:10 PM MYT
BY KENNETH TEE
KUALA LUMPUR, July 12 — The next-of-kin of Muhammad Adib Mohd Kassim said today they are disappointed with the Royal Malaysia Police (PDRM) and Inspector-General of Police Tan Sri Abdul Hamid Bador for urging a review of the investigation into the fireman’s death.
Expressing their disappointment, the family said they had initially placed high hopes that the authorities would undertake their investigation in a determined and transparent manner to identify Adib’s killer following the Coroner’s Court’s inquest verdict last year.
“It is very disappointing because the IGP’s remark in updating the investigation status had clearly exposed the ignorance demonstrated by the IGP and PDRM towards the detailed facts of the case.
“If the IGP had read in full the grounds of judgement and statement notes while scrutinising the court’s exhibits, we are confident that the IGP will never utter such irresponsible statements.
“This shows a facetious attitude towards conducting the investigations and instead provides an excuse of stumbling into a dead end while claiming they have exhausted all means without making a genuine effort to seek justice for Adib,” they said in a statement through their lawyers.
This comes after Abdul Hamid proposed the setting-up of a review committee to dig further into the sequence of events that led to the severe injuries that killed Adib as the police did not have a strong case to charge anyone despite the inquest suggestion that Adib was the victim of a violent act.
The family also said it strongly objected to any need to reconsider the alleged cause of death through a “review team” as it was already previously determined by the court, after Abdul Hamid noted conflicting opinions by the two forensic pathologists who testified in the inquest.
“It must be stressed here that the Coroner’s Court has already given its input on the cause of Adib’s death.
“Since the verdict has never been challenged by any parties through an appeal, then the police are obliged to investigate who were those who caused Adib’s death and not question whether Adib was killed or not,” they said.
The family also sought to address and correct several distorted facts issued by Abdul Hamid in his remark during the July 10 press conference that was clearly disrespectful and against the Coroner Court’s verdict.
“It is very unfair for the IGP to summarise that there was no statement that could be linked to Adib’s murder just because two firemen claimed they did not see what transpired during the incident.
“Moreover, it is ridiculous that the IGP tried to depict Adib as having not been assaulted just because there were no self-defence injuries on his body.
“All of these claims have been answered clearly in the inquest and the IGP’s action to raise them shows that PDRM failed to understand the chronology of the case,” they said, adding that Adib was already in an unconscious state due to internal injuries when he was assaulted based on the court’s finding.
The family also said that the IGP’s claim of having recalled all 30 witnesses who testified during the inquest was untrue because Adib’s father was never called for his statement up till this day.
Abdul Hamid had remarked that despite having recalled all 30 witnesses who testified during the inquest, plus a further 52 more, the police were still not able to determine whom to prosecute.
Friday, 10 Jul 2020 07:22 PM MYT
BY EMMANUEL SANTA MARIA CHIN
KUALA LUMPUR, July 10 — Inspector-General of Police Tan Sri Abdul Hamid Bador is proposing the set-up of a review committee to dig further into the sequence of events that led to the severe injuries that killed fireman Muhammad Adib Mohd Kassim nearly two years ago.
The country’s top policeman said that after the coroner pronounced Adib’s death to be the result of a crime committed by two or more persons, police had recalled all 30 witnesses who testified during the inquest plus 52 more people for interviews, but were still not able to determine whom to prosecute.
Abdul Hamid also noted conflicting opinions by the two forensic pathologists who testified in the inquest, and hopes it can be the focal point for the review team if the Home Ministry (KDN) agrees to its formation.
“Because this issue is still unsolved and with many claims and comments made by the people, the Royal Malaysian Police will suggest the formation of a review committee to go over the views of the forensic pathologists.
“We will suggest to KDN so that a review team can be formed,” he told a press conference in Bukit Aman today.
On September 27 last year, the Coroner’s Court in Shah Alam ruled that the fireman’s death was the result of a crime committed by more than two or three unknown persons.
Today, Abdul Hamid pled for help from the public. He said those with knowledge or had witnessed incidents from that night but have yet to speak to police, to share their information.
He said police did not have a strong case to charge anyone despite the inquest suggestion that Adib was the victim of a violent act.
“We have exhausted all ways and means to find just one witness who will really be able to convince us and say that he saw that Adib was pulled and attacked by a group of people.
“Up to this point not a single person [has said so], so where can I find such a person,” Abdul Hamid said.
But he said that police are committed to find out what really happened even if the process takes a long time. He hoped it will not be misconstrued as delay tactics.