Fact Check: Do not believe this hoax about funeral home worker cremated alive while taking a nap
An article by “Weekly Inquirer”, which has been replicated by other websites, claims that a New York funeral company accidentally cremated one of its employees who fell asleep after working 16 hours straight. What is the truth?
April 13, 2020
UPDATED: April 13, 2020 15:57 IST
India Today Anti Fake News War Room (AFWA) has found this to be a hoax. This is a satire article published by the website “Weekly Inquirer”.
Many people have shared the article on Facebook believing the incident to be true. The archived version of the article can be seen here.
As per the article, an overworked and exhausted 48-year old Michael Jones was taking a nap on a stretcher, when a co-worker of the crematorium mistook him as a corpse of a 52-year-old person who died of respiratory issues. The co-worker put Jones into the crematorium furnace which reduced him to ashes.
AFWA found a tiny disclaimer mentioning “satire” at the bottom of the website page.
The “Weekly Inquirer”, in its “privacy” policy, has mentioned that “Information contained in this website is for information and entertainment purposes only.” The website also declared it is not responsible for incorrect and inaccurate information given in the published articles.
Hence, the viral post claiming that a New York funeral home cremated one of its employees while he was asleep is completely false.
NEW YORK, NY: EXHAUSTED FUNERAL HOME EMPLOYEE CREMATED BY MISTAKE WHILE TAKING A NAP
An employee of a New York, Funeral & Cremation Service died yesterday, after being accidentally cremated by one of his coworkers.
According to the Police, 48-year old Michael Jones decided to take a nap one a stretcher after working for sixteen hours straight to the recent influx of dead bodies.
While he was sleeping, another employee mistook him for the corpse of a 52-year old person who died from respiratory issues and moved him to the crematory.
Before anyone could notice the mistake, he had already been exposed to temperatures ranging between 1400 to 1800 degrees Fahrenheit and reduced to ashes.
Jenna Anderson, one of Mr Jones’s coworkers, says she heard him scream for about 15 seconds after the crematory was activated.
“At first, we didn’t understand where the sound was coming from. When we realized what was happening, it was too late. We shut down the heating system, but he was already dead.”
Ms. Anderson claims that the young coworker who caused the accident was a new employee, and had forgotten to check for the toe tag to make sure he had the right body.
Jenna Anderson says she heard the victim scream in agony as the crematory was reducing him to ashes.
The police has opened an investigation to determine the exact circumstances surrounding Mr Jone’s death.
Investigators have not ruled out the possibility of filing criminal charges against the employee who caused his death.
The young man could possibly be accused of criminal negligence causing death.