Not guilty: Court clears Sam Ke Ting of killing 8 cyclists on dark JB road in February 2017…

.

Malay Mail

Court clears motorist of killing eight teen cyclists on dark JB road two years ago

JOHOR BARU, Oct 28 — The Magistrate’s Court here today acquitted and discharged a sale promoter who was charged with reckless driving that caused a road accident in which eight teenage cyclists were killed two years ago.

Magistrate Siti Hajar Ali acquitted Sam Ke Ting, 24, without calling for her defence, after finding the prosecution having failed to establish a prima facie at the end of the prosecution’s case.

The magistrate also ordered the immediate return of Sam’s driving licence and the bail of RM10,000 to be returned to her bailor.

In the judgment, Siti Hajar said the court made the decision based on a number of factors, including the dark and winding road condition where the driver could not predict the presence of a group of cyclists on the road at 3am and the danger posed by the cyclists themselves, who were using modified bicycles or “basikal lajak.”

“Based on evidence by the investigating team, there was a large tree in the path and the lighting was dim, even with the lights on at the road divider.

“The cycling activity is known there (location of the incident), there have been complaints about modified bicycle racing there. It is reasonable to expect motorists passing the area to know about it, but it only applies to the locals and those who use the road often.

“It is unfair to expect the same from other motorists who seldom use the road or stay in the area,” she said.

https://www.malaymail.com/news/malaysia/2019/10/28/court-clears-motorist-of-killing-eight-teen-cyclists-on-dark-jb-road-two-ye/1804502?utm_term=Autofeed&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1572247110

..

NST

JB teen cycling tragedy: Driver expected to be charged

Share to LinkedInShare to More

JOHOR BARU: The 22-year-old driver, who killed a group of eight teenage cyclists in a horrific car accident here, last month, is expected to be charged in court either on Sunday or Monday.

A source revealed that the female driver, who had been previously released on police bail, was expected to be produced at the Johor Baru magistrate’s court and would probably be charged with reckless driving leading to death.

Johor police chief Datuk Seri Wan Ahmad Najmuddin Mohd refused to confirm whether the woman driver would be charged soon.

“So far, there has been no directive from the deputy public prosecutor’s (DPP) office. The investigation papers are still in the hands of the DPP,” Najmuddin said when contacted.

https://www.nst.com.my/news/2017/03/222229/jb-teen-cycling-tragedy-driver-expected-be-charged

..

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s