London’s Great Escape: Couple guilty of terror plot…

Breaking news: #LondonTube attack is a ‘terrorist incident’

Britain is on its second highest alert level of “severe”, meaning an attack by militants is considered highly likely. The designation remained the same after the Nov. 13 Islamist attacks in Paris that killed 130 people. REUTERS

http://www.todayonline.com/world/british-couple-convicted-preparing-london-attack

30 December 2015

Couple found guilty of plotting London terror attack

A British court on Tuesday convicted a husband and wife of planning a terror attack on the 10th anniversary of the London suicide bombings earlier this year.

Embedded image permalink

LONDON: A British court on Tuesday (Dec 29) convicted a husband and wife of planning a terror attack on the 10th anniversary of the London suicide bombings earlier this year.

Mohammed Rehman, 25, used the Twitter name “Silent Bomber” and asked users whether he should bomb a shopping centre or the London Underground train network.

Rehman used as his profile picture an image of the Islamic State group militant known as “Jihadi John”, believed killed earlier this year, and was said by prosecutors to have had a “keen interest” in IS.

He was arrested in May after posting a tweet saying: “Westfield shopping centre or London underground? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.”

That was accompanied by a link to an Al-Qaeda press release about the July 2005 bombings in which four suicide bombers targeted London’s transport system. Fifty-two people were killed.

The couple were accused of planning their attack around May 28. Rehman was convicted alongside his wife Sana Ahmed Khan at London’s Old Bailey criminal court.

While Rehman was responsible for creating the bomb, his wife funded his exploits and bought the chemicals, the Crown Prosecution Service said. If detonated on the London Underground, the bomb they were preparing “would have caused multiple fatalities,” said the CPS.

“The intention to carry out some form of terrorism attack was clear,” Susan Hemming, head of the CPS counter terrorism division, said following the verdict.

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/world/couple-found-guilty-of/2385670.html?cid=twtcna

British couple convicted of preparing London attack

Embedded image permalink


“The pair had been very close to carrying out an attack, all they required was to purchase the chemicals to make a detonator,” said Susan Hemming, Head of Counter Terrorism Division at the Crown Prosecution Service.

She added that the couple had already acquired 10 kg (22 pounds) of Urea Nitrate. “There is little doubt that, had Rehman and Ahmed Khan not been stopped when they were, they would have attempted to carry out an act of terrorism in London.”

http://www.todayonline.com/world/british-couple-convicted-preparing-london-attack

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s