By Fabian Peter – April 5, 2022 @ 8:01am
Is Malaysia going to lose the now-retired Lee Chong Wei, arguably one of the world’s greatest badminton players, to another country?
Three years after hanging up his racquet, four-time All England champion Chong Wei yesterday confirmed that he has received coaching offers from several Asian countries.
Whether Chong Wei becomes a successful coach is a different matter, but the BA of Malaysia (BAM) should quickly consider offering a coaching role to the former world No 1.
It would be disheartening for Malaysian badminton if Chong Wei accepts an offer from an Asian country and turns their men’s singles shuttlers into world-beaters.
Though remaining coy with his answers, the 40-year-old, said: “I can only reveal that I have been offered by several Asian countries to be their national coach.
“No decision has been made yet. However, I have been in discussion with some of them. Badminton runs in my blood, and it is still the sport I love. Who knows?”
The three-time Olympic silver medallist, however, noted that any decision will only be made with the blessing of his family.
“My No 1 priority is my family. Right now, I am very happy with where I am, and that is very important.
“Since retiring, I have been focused on my business, and I am in no rush for anything. Life is meant to be enjoyed,” said the Penang-born, who still holds the record for being world No 1 for 349 weeks.
It remains to be seen if Chong Wei would take up any of the offers. Singapore could turn out to be his destination as they had put up an advert looking for a men’s singles coach earlier this year.