Patients did not disclose health status upon arrival, resulting in employees contracting disease
Updated 4 hours ago · Published on 17 Dec 2020 4:06PM
KUALA LUMPUR – At least two medical wards at Tengku Ampuan Rahimah Hospital (HTAR) and one operating theatre at Selayang Hospital have been closed due to Covid-19 outbreaks.
Sources told The Vibes that the sources of infections are patients who did not disclose their health status upon arrival, resulting in hospital staff contracting the disease.
“There were a lot of them (patients). And, they were not being truthful when they were hospitalised,” said a source.
Earlier today, Malaysiakini reported that up to 40 employees and more than 50 patients at HTAR have contracted Covid-19 in the last three weeks.
Several Covid-19 cases were detected at the hospital in March, prompting it to limit visiting hours and bar children under 12 from visiting.
By CodeBlue | 17 December 2020
The Selangor state health department says the management of patient treatment at Hospital Tengku Ampuan Rahimah (HTAR) Klang is still ongoing and under control.
KUALA LUMPUR, Dec 17 — The Selangor state health department (JKNS) confirmed today that patients and 50 health workers at Hospital Tengku Ampuan Rahimah (HTAR) Klang have been infected with Covid-19.
JKNS, which is under the Ministry of Health (MOH), however did not state how many patients at the government hospital had contracted the coronavirus.
“Investigations by a team from JKNS and HTAR could not identify the source of infection of the affected health workers, whether it occurred before patients were admitted into hospital or when patients were going through a 14-day incubation period,” JKNS director Dr Sha’ari Ngadiman said in a statement.
“However, the situation is under control,” he stressed. “The management of patient treatment at HTAR is still ongoing and under control.”
Dr Sha’ari noted that Klang, Selangor, is a red Covid-19 zone and the rise of severe acute respiratory infection cases at HTAR could have caused an increase in coronavirus cases.
“Hospital management is always vigilant and ensures constant compliance with standard operating procedures and wearing personal protective equipment (PPE).”
He said the 50 infected HTAR health workers are currently being treated at Sungai Buloh Hospital. All close contacts to the confirmed cases, including patients, have been swabbed for Covid-19 and placed under home surveillance.
“The public is advised not to visit the hospital if there is no pressing business.”
Covid-19 outbreak reported at Klang Hospital, 50 frontliners infected
By Ruwaida Md Zain – December 17, 2020 @ 7:29pm
SHAH ALAM: The Selangor Health Department has confirmed a Covid-19 breakout among medical frontliners as well as patients in the Tengku Ampuan Rahimah Hospital (HTAR) in Klang.
Selangor health director Datuk Dr Sha’ari Ngadiman said that currently, no less than 50 medical personnel have been infected with Covid-19.
They are now undergoing treatment at the Sungai Buloh Hospital, he said.
“An investigation by the state health department as well as the hospital has so far failed to pinpoint the source of the outbreak. This could have taken place before patients were warded in the hospital or even when the patients were undergoing the 14-day incubation period.
Ramieza Wahid & Aidila Razak
Published 2:00 pm Modified 3:06 pm
COVID-19 | Dozens of hospital staff and in-patients at Hospital Tengku Ampuan Rahimah (HTAR) in Klang have tested positive for Covid-19 in the past fortnight, raising concerns of an outbreak in the hospital.
Malaysiakini understands the patients were hospitalised due to health issues unrelated to Covid-19 and tested negative upon admission, only to develop Covid-19 symptoms during their stay.
The patients and hospital staff who tested positive have been transferred to Hospital Sungai Buloh for treatment, several reliable sources confirmed.
It is learnt that Health Ministry officials attended a briefing on a possible Covid-19 outbreak at the hospital this morning.
Contacted later, Selangor Health director Dr Sha’ari Ngadiman confirmed the briefing.
“I take note that there have been cases (involving staff and patients infected with Covid-19) there.
“This is why the ministry officials were at the hospital to learn more about the issue. As such, I cannot give further comment,” he said.
Malaysiakini understands at least 40 staff and more than 50 in-patients at the hospital have contracted Covid-19 in the past three weeks.
It is learnt that other hospitals across Selangor have also discovered Covid-19 cases among patients in general wards, who had earlier tested negative upon admission.
However, it is unclear if the infection occurred at the hospital or if the patients were already infected upon admission, but the virus was in the incubation period at the time of admission.