THE DATUM JELATEK CONDOMINIUM: 674 UNITS. Buyers? 1,097 Malays! No Chinese? None so far. None expected at all.
Mentri Besar Azmin Ali, “The problem with Perkasa is that they associate Malays with squatter or low-cost homes.”
Monday February 9, 2015 MYT 7:29:30 AM
MB: We want Malays to own good class properties in Klang Valley
SHAH ALAM: Selangor wants to foster a Malay community which is able to own good class properties in Klang Valley, said Mentri Besar Azmin Ali.
Referring to the controversy of the Datuk Jelatek upscale condominium project near Keramat, where a group of protesters objected to the development on the grounds that “Malays cannot afford them”, Azmin said 680 units had already been allocated for bumiputras, while the expression of interest from them reached 1,200.
“Who said Malays can’t buy? Don’t play with these sentiments,” Azmin said after attending an event at the state secretariat here yesterday where accreditation letters were presented to village headmen.
Azmin said the buyers of the condominium units were former residents of the Jalan Enggang low cost flats which were demolished to make way for the project.
“They are the residents of Jalan Enggang, maybe not the first generation, but the second generation.
“Their parents may not have been able to afford, but their children can as they are engineers and doctors,” said Azmin.
HOW DEVIOUS! Now that it has been shown that there is no Chinese invasion, that race is not a factor, the demonstrators cleverly blames the developers!
‘Developers provoked Datum Jelatek violence’ http://bit.ly/1ETiOUI
A participant in the Jan 25 demonstration against the Datum Jelatek project claims that the provocation leading to some damage at the project site was caused by participants paid to do so by the developer.
Ariffin Abu Bakar made the claim after lodging a police report at the Ampang Jaya police headquarters today.
“I want to stress that I did not order the participants to act violently on that day.
“I believe that the participants were influenced by a group which was paid by the developers to make an extreme provocation that led to the participants acting violently,” Ariffin said.
In his police report, he also denied that right-wing group Perkasa was involved in the incident.
He urged the police to investigate the group of individuals who had influenced the participants in the demonstration – which was supposed to be a peaceful one – to act in a violent manner.
Ariffin said he became aware of this when a group of around 10 individuals entered the project area holding wooden sticks and iron rods, after the zinc barrier put up to cordon off the project site was torn down.
He said he knew who the group members were and that on the day of the incident, one of the individuals did not follow instructions to demonstrate peacefully.
“We asked them to leave the area but they did not listen. We felt that something was amiss and based on our investigations, we found that one of them works with the developer,” he said.
Most Datum condo protesters were ‘strangers’, another residents group claims
KUALA LUMPUR, Jan 29 ― A group of 15 Malay residents from Taman Keramat stepped up today to condemn last week’s protest against the construction of a luxury condominium in their neighbourhood, even claiming that most of those who participated were “strangers”.
At a joint press conference with Datumcorp International, the company behind the condominium project, the residents said they were ashamed that the protest turned racial and insisted that the few who turned up did not represent the views of the over 500 residents of Taman Keramat.
“A protester came out and said he represents Taman Keramat residents,” training coach Dr Ted Adzelan said.
“But when I walked past the protest last weekend, I only knew 10 per cent of them, the rest are strangers.”
Ted said the protesters were wrong to bring race into the issue as it was offensive to imply that Malays could not afford to buy a place in the luxury condominium.
Datumcorp head of project planning Ahmad Zaidee Leham said that once the project is completed in three years’ time, Taman Keramat residents would get first dibs at purchasing the vacant commercial lots.
He added that of the project’s over 1,000 registered Bumiputera buyers, 17 per cent are residents of Taman Keramat.
Selangor Mentri Besar Azmin Ali on Monday promised to hear out the objections raised by residents in the area, saying the state’s duty is to ensure that no development sparks racial tension.
IBRAHIM ALI OF PERKASA GIVES HIS TWO CENTS’ WORTH…
Malay Mail Online
Listen to Datum Jelatek protesters, Ibrahim Ali tells Selangor
KUALA LUMPUR, Jan 28 — Perkasa president Datuk Ibrahim Ali today urged the Selangor government to heed grouses from residents of a Shah Alam neighbourhood who are alleging that a new development there will bring an influx of ethnic Chinese.
The Malay rights group’s leader also categorised as normal the protest purportedly held by unhappy residents against the Datum Jelatek project last weekend that later turned violent.
“The Selangor government has to listen to the people’s protest,” Ibrahim told reporters outside the Kuala Lumpur High Court today.
“We shouldn’t just look at ourselves, other people can be right too,” he added.
Last updated on 27 Jan 12:54 AM
QUICK TAKE: A protest by a mob of racists and religious bigots against a Taman Keramat condominium project in Selangor turned violent on Jan 25.
Although the police managed to bring the situation under control and about 100 protesters soon dispersed, was there any arrest? No, and only God knows why the police did not act to detain or arrest anyone.
What was their reason for protesting the development of the Datum Jelatek luxury condominium? The Malaysian Insider reported that the racist bigots feared the project would turn the area into a “Chinese district”.
This incident clearly shows racial and religious intolerance is growing in Malaysia. One also wonders whether the incident was also politically engineered to serve an agenda.
The protesters wore bandanas around their head emblazoned with the words “Anak Keramat” (Children of Keramat) to signify they were residents of the area. Members of the Selangor chapter of Perkasa, as well as the Datum Jelatik Action Committee (BBDJ), could be seen among the rowdy crowd.
BBDJ chairman Salleh Ahmad said the demonstration was organised to warn Selangor Menteri Mohamed Azmin Ali to stop the condominium project, saying that it would open the floodgates to other races entering the Malay-majority area.
Politically motivated? Racism? No?
Selangor Perkasa chief Abu Bakar Yahya urged the Pakatan Rakyat-led Selangor government to stop trying to challenge the Malays.
“Stop allowing the Malays to be bullied by other races. We do not hate other races, but the Chinese and the Indians should not challenge the Malays,” Abu Bakar said.
The groups that gathered here claimed the Datum Jelatek project had ignored the Malays, and that the Malays were unable to afford the condominium units’ high price.
They claimed that most of the units had been purchased by non-Malays and foreigners.
Monday January 26, 2015 MYT 1:23:46 PM
Azmin wants details of Datum Jelatek protest before taking action
SHAH ALAM: Selangor Mentri Besar Azmin Ali wants confirmation that all the people who took part in rabble rousing protest against the Datum Jelatek project were indeed local residents.
“Who are they? Are you sure they are locals and they reside there?
“Apart from En Salleh (Datuk Jelatek Action Committee chairman Salleh Samad), who are the members? Who were there present at the demo?’’ asked Azmin on Monday.
Several hundred protesters led by Salleh voiced their unhappiness that upon the completion of the project, non- Malays will come to live in the predominantly Malay area.
Azmin said that racial sentiments should not be allowed to hinder the state’s development.
When told that the demonstrators wanted to see him over their grouse, Azmin said he would await a full report on the incident.
THE RICH MALAYS ARE INVADING THE KERAMAT AREA!
1,097 bumiputra buyers have registered for the 674 units available.
THE CHINESE ARE NOT COMING!
Contrary to the accusation that the Chinese are buying luxury condos there, ALL registered buyers are Malay.
No, the Chinese aren’t invading the Keramat area. Whether they are from China, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Singapore, Brazil, Chile, Indonesia or Malaysia, they won’t be buying anything there.
Monday January 26, 2015 MYT 12:12:23 PM
PKNS: All registered buyers of Datum Jelatek condos are bumiputras
PETALING JAYA: All 674 units of controversial Datum Jelatek condominiums have been registered to bumiputra buyers, debunking allegations that the Malays could not afford to purchase the luxury units.
Selangor State Development Corporation (PKNS) in a statement said that a total of 1,097 potential bumiputra buyers have shown their interest, exceeding their expectations on the project.
“A of Jan 14, 2015, the project has received an overwhelming support and so far a total of 1,097 bumiputra buyers have registered and it has exceeded 674 units available,” said PKNS General Manager Azlan Md Alifiah.
The condominium, which is being developed by Datumcorp International (DCI), will cost around RM700,000 per unit.
Video: Protes Datum Jelatek 25 Januari 2015
The Keramat area was set up by the then Selangor Mentri Besar Harun Idris in a delicate attempt to achieve racial balance.
Some Malays there, it seems, believe that there is a DAP plot to bring Chinese into the 100% Malay area.
Azmin questions if protesters at Datum Jelatek were locals (Updated)
SHAH ALAM: Selangor Mentri Besar Mohamed Azmin Ali questioned if the protesters at the Datum Jelatek luxury condominium site in Taman Keramat yesterday were really locals.
Speaking to reporters after the monthly assembly of state government departments at the state secretariat here, Mohamed Azmin tried to dismiss repeated questions over the issue.
On Jan 25, some 100 local gathered at the condominium site to protest the project as they feared the area would bring other races in the Malay-majority area.
Mohamed Azmin said he was unsure if the protesters consisted of locals or outsiders.
“Who are they?” Azmin questioned, to which a reporter replied that the protesters were residents of Kampung Keramat.
“Are you sure they are locals and reside there? Can you confirm that? Other than Salleh (Datuk Jelatek action committee chairman Salleh Samad), who were present at the demonstration?” he asked then.
Detum Jelatek action committee chairman Salleh Samad warned of “bloodshed” if the state government allowed the project to proceed in the area, which he said was “100% Malay”.
Monday January 26, 2015 MYT 7:28:53 AM
Hundreds gather in rowdy protest against condo project
PETALING JAYA: Hundreds of people staged a rowdy protest against the construction of the Detum Jelatek luxury condominiums in Keramat and then turned aggressive by breaking into the project’s construction site.
The protesters, mostly Taman Keramat residents and members of the Malay rights group Perkasa, claimed yesterday the project infringed upon the rights of Malays.
They tore down the zinc hoardings around the project site and marched into the site. The situation was brought under control when policemen stepped in and told the protesters to disperse.
PETALING JAYA: Hundreds of protesters against the construction of Detum Jelatek luxury condominiums in Keramat… http://bit.ly/1GRJD0
Penduduk bertindak ganas ceroboh tapak projek ‘daerah Cina’ Datum Jelatek
…BBDJ chairman Salleh Ahmad said today’s demonstration was organised to warn Selangor Menteri Mohamed Azmin Ali to stop the condominium project, saying that it would open the floodgates to other races entering the Malay-majority area.
“I challenge him (Azmin) to come down and meet me, but he didn’t turn up. If he had, I would have thrown him into the drain,” said Salleh.
“I challenge him to stop this project,” he said.
Protest against condo project turns rowdy over fears of ‘Chinese district’
Some 100 residents protesting the development of the Datum Jelatek luxury condominium in Taman Keramat, Selangor, today turned aggressive and broke into the construction site to halt a project that they felt would turn the area into a “Chinese district”.
The residents first began marching peacefully towards the site, before they proceeded to tear down the zinc barrier surrounding it, with several protesters trespassing on the site.
However, police managed to bring the situation under control and the crowd soon dispersed. Two police trucks were seen at the site.
The residents are opposing the Datum Jelatek project because they claimed it would transform the Malay-majority area into a “Chinese district”, as they believed only the Chinese could afford to purchase units at the luxury condominium.
The protest began at 11am this morning, with the residents gathering at one of the organisers’ house nearby the construction site. Packets of nasi lemak and bottled mineral water were distributed among the locals before they started their demonstration.
Spirits were high as they marched towards the site, with many belting the Warisan song, or Anak Kecil Main Api – a song lamenting the loss of the land to outsiders, often played during the heavily-criticised Biro Tata Negara programme.
The protesters wore bandannas around their head emblazoned with the words “Anak Keramat” (Children of Keramat) to signify they were residents of the area.
Members of the Selangor chapter of Perkasa, as well as the Datum Jelatik Action Committee (BBDJ) could be seen among the rowdy crowd.
Malay Mail Online
In violent outburst, Jelatek residents say ‘no’ to Chinese neighbours
KUALA LUMPUR, Jan 25 — Fearing their Malay-majority city neighbourhood may soon be overrun by Chinese, a group of residents in Taman Keramat marched to the construction site of upscale condominium project Datum Jelatek here and violently tore down its cladding today.
The group had warned of “bloodshed” last November if the luxury condo project, which sits on the former site of four blocks of Selangor State Development Corporation (PKNS) flats owned mostly by Malays, goes ahead.
“This is a 100 per cent Malay area,” Salleh Majid, spokesman for the group, told Malay Mail Online when contacted over the phone.
News portal The Malaysian Insider had reported a violent protest breaking out at the condo project site earlier today, but Salleh said the residents reacted aggressively to defend their homes from “Chinese occupation”.
“I did my own study and I found out that they are trying to attract Chinese from China, Singapore, Taiwan and so on,” he said referring to the condominium project.
He also disapproved of local ethnic Chinese staying in the proposed project, when asked.
“No. We already have this understanding… Keramat was created by Datuk Harun after May 13 to balance the Chinese population in the city with the Malays,” he said.
The Keramat area was set up by the then Selangor Mentri Besar Harun Idris in a delicate attempt to achieve racial balance.
Salleh said residents were afraid that the influx of Chinese to the area might force Malays to vacate, similar to other Malay settlements in the city in the past.
The self-professed professional claimed this was a conspiracy by the predominantly Chinese DAP opposition party to open up Keramat to the Chinese, but he did not provide proof to support his allegation.
“This is all a DAP agenda,” Salleh alleged, before adding, “This project came amid insults to the Malays like the ‘Allah’ issue and others.”
Salleh had previously said the planned luxury studio apartment, measuring 538 square feet each, was priced at RM700,000 and was not affordable to the Taman Keramat Malay community.
He claimed the prices were intentionally set high so that only other races could afford to purchase the units.
The Datum Jelatek Project that will be built on a 5.5-acre (2.2 hectares) piece of land had previously been said to be a redevelopment project of the low-cost housing area in Jalan Jelatek after all the residents, who were mostly Malays, had been moved out and given a small compensation.
However, the project was said to have “changed” into a proposal to develop four exclusive buildings comprising offices, a hotel and a shopping centre targeted at the high-income group and corporate sector.
Malay Mail Online
PKNS vows legal action against Jelatek condo protesters over violence, trespass
KUALA LUMPUR, Jan 25 — The Selangor Development Corporation (PKNS) said today it would take legal action against protesters who trespassed on the construction site of the Datum Jelatek luxury condominium and tore down the zinc sheets serving as its fencing in Taman Keramat earlier today.
Its manager Azlan Md Alifiah, who is also the chair of Datumcorp International (DCI), the company behind the Datum Jelatek project, claimed there were no grounds for the protesters to be upset by the development as the residents had already been consulted.
“What happened today was disappointing as the protest started peacefully but ended up violent… we are looking at this seriously, and legal action will be taken and a police report has been lodged on the violence and trespassing earlier today,” he said in a statement issued late this evening.
He said both Selangor’s state development arm and DCI have been open and had consulted nearby residents about the project, and claimed to have received positive feedback from the majority.
Fearing their Malay-majority city neighbourhood may soon be overrun by Chinese, a group of residents in Taman Keramat marched to the construction site of upscale condominium project Datum Jelatek here and violently tore down its cladding today.
The group had warned of “bloodshed” last November if the luxury condo project, which sits on the former site of four blocks of PKNS flats owned mostly by Malays, goes ahead.
But Azlan dismissed the allegation as baseless, pointing out that more than 1,000 Bumiputera buyers have shown interest in the project.
“Up until January 2015, there have been 1,097 Bumiputera registering to buy, which is more than the 674 units available”.