In a Facebook post today, Asyraf said some content of the Form 4 history textbook glorified communists as independence heroes while there was a section that accused Malays of being subordinates to Japanese colonialists.
“In a subtle and discreet way, the PH government has made the communists and Malayan People’s Anti-Japanese Army look like heroes and independence fighters who deserve recognition,” he said.
Umno Youth chief Asyraf Wajdi Dusuki should instead point his finger at his own party in his latest statement that the Form 4 history textbook glorified communists, said former Education Minister Maszlee Malik.
Maszlee (above) said the “controversial” textbook used during the Pakatan Harapan administration was reviewed and decided by the BN government before that.
As such, he disagreed that Harapan should be blamed for the textbook.
“I am of the view that his reckless accusation in blaming the Harapan administration is baseless.
“The history curriculum was reviewed in 2014 and implemented in 2017, starting with Form One students. This means that these Form One students in 2017 will enter Form Four by 2020,” he said.
Maszlee then brought attention to the government’s decision to replace the Integrated Curriculum for Secondary School (KBSM) with the Secondary School (KSSM) school curriculum in 2017.
“The development of a curriculum requires a long process, and it involves a panel of experts who are experienced in the subject of history,” he said.
Maszlee said a pilot test would then be conducted to ensure its feasibility once the curriculum’s formulation is completed.
“Through this pilot test, improvements can be made based on the views of the teachers. The entire process will take between three and five years.
“This means for textbooks printed in 2019 and used in 2020, the development process can be traced back to 2014 or 2015,” he said.
Maszlee, who is also Simpang Renggam, disclosed a document to substantiate his claim that the BN government decided to introduce KSSM in 2017.
“Once again, I would like to tell Asyraff that the then education minister in 2015 came from Umno,” he said.
Maszlee said experts were roped in on the history curriculum, and some of them were known to be close with and had a bias for Umno.
Do your research before making claims, Maszlee tells Asyraf
FMT Reporters -February 24, 2021 5:44 PM
PETALING JAYA: Former education minister Maszlee Malik has slammed Umno Youth chief Asyraf Wajdi Dusuki over his claims that the Pakatan Harapan (PH) administration had a hand in changes to the content of Form 4 history textbooks.
Earlier today, Asyraf had urged the education ministry to correct some content in the textbooks that he claimed glorified communists as independence fighters.
He claimed this was intentionally done by PH when in government to “sow the seeds” of the “Malaysian Malaysia” ideology.
In a lengthy Facebook post, Maszlee told Asyraf to do his research before making such accusations, adding that there was no merit to the Umno man’s claims.
The Simpang Renggam MP said Asyraf could have chosen to seek clarification from the education ministry directly or any of the experts involved in compiling the contents of the textbook.
He said the Kurikulum Standard Sekolah Menengah (KSSM) curriculum had been introduced in 2017 to replace Kurikulum Bersepadu Sekolah Menengah (KBSM), which had been around since 1989.
He also said the history curriculum for secondary schools had been revised in 2014 and implemented in 2017 with Form 1 students. “This means that the Form 1 cohort in 2017 would be in Form 4 in 2020.”
“The process of drafting a curriculum takes several years and it involves a panel of experts well-versed in history. Once a curriculum is drafted, it goes through a pilot test in real schools to ensure its effectiveness while getting the views of teachers implementing the curriculum.
“This means that for textbooks printed in 2019 and used in 2020, the process (of coming up with the content) would have started in 2014 or 2015.
“It is really impossible for PH to have done all this in its first year in the government,” he said, while pointing out that the education minister during the formulation of the curriculum was from Umno.
Asked if he would consider taking legal action against Asyraf over his claims, he told FMT that the backlash against the Umno Youth chief’s careless accusations was more than enough.
PH was never involved in textbook review, says ex-deputy minister
Nicholas Chung -February 24, 2021 12:47 PM
PETALING JAYA: Former deputy education minister Teo Nie Ching says Pakatan Harapan (PH) was never involved in the review process of school textbooks, hitting back at Asyraf Wajdi Dusuki over the Umno Youth chief’s complaint about some content in Form 4 history textbooks.
Teo said the review of the curriculum and textbooks had started in 2017, involving historians, public university lecturers, history teachers and curriculum officers from the panel of history curriculum experts and history textbooks.
“PH did not involve itself in the review process. We left it to the professionals,” she told FMT.
Asked if she or PH would consider taking legal action against Asyraf over his claims, Teo simply said this would be discussed with PH’s legal advisers.