Altantuya’s family sues the Malaysian government, two former police officers (Azilah Hadri and Sirul Azhar Umar) and political analyst Abdul Razak Baginda or RM100 million…

Altantuya’s parents, Shaariibuu Setev and Altantsetseg Sanjaa, and her two sons, Mungunshagai Bayarjargal and Altanshagai Munkhtulga, reportedly filed the suit on June 4, 2007.




15 May 2019


SHAH ALAM, May 15 — The hearing of the RM100 million civil suit filed by the family of Altantuya Shaariibuu, the Mongolian model who was murdered in 2006, has been postponed to June 11.

Shah Alam High Court Datuk Vazeer Alam Mydin Meera deferred hearing of the case in his chambers. Also present were lawyer Sangeet Kaur Deo representing Altantuya’s family, lawyer of political analyst Abduk Razak Abdullah Baginda and senior federal counsel.

Sangeet Kaur, when met by reporters afterwards, said the postponement was because they would file an additional affidavit with the court this week.

“The additional affidavit is to reveal media reports regarding a statement by the inspector-general of police (IGP) then that the investigation papers involving the murder of Altantuya had been sent to the Attorney General’s Chambers and that they were waiting for a decision.

“I think the filing of an additional affidavit is necessary because they (the Attorney General’s Chambers) will respond to the affidavit before the judge makes a decision in the June 11 proceedings on our application for the relevant documents,” she said, adding that the court would also set a new trial date.

In July 2018, the media reported that former IGP Tan Sri Mohamad Fuzi Harun had informed that the investigation papers had been submitted to the Attorney General’s Chambers

Mohamad Fuzi also reportedly confirmed that the latest investigation involving the case was completed and that police were waiting for the next course of action on how to proceed,

Sangeet Kaur said that although copies of documents relating to Altantuya’s previous criminal proceeding can be used by witnesses during the trial proceedings, they still needed to identify the evidence submitted in the case before.

“Therefore, to avoid witnesses being called again for identification of evidence, we intend to do so at once if our application to retrieve the evidence is successful.

“Exhibits are likely to be kept in court or possibly with the police or at the Attorney General’s Chambers because usually, after a criminal trial hearing, evidence material is returned to an investigating officer or kept in court,” she said.

She said that they have applied to the Registrar of the Shah Alam Criminal Court to obtain information on the existence of such evidence.

— Bernama

14 May 2019

SHAH ALAM: A police officer told the High Court here today he took samples of handwriting from political analyst Abdul Razak Abdullah Baginda on two consecutive days in 2006.

ASP Ahmad Abu Bakar, 47, who was testifying in a RM100 million civil suit filed by the family of Altantuya Shaariibuu, the Mongolian model who was murdered in 2006, said he obtained samples of Razak’s handwriting on Nov 14 and 15 that year.

Ahmad, who is now with the Bukit Aman Integrity and Standard Compliance Department’s Case Study division, said he was instructed to do so by then deputy staff officer Gan Tack Guan at 3pm on Nov 14.

He said he obtained the samples from Razak at the interrogation room at Bukit Aman.

Asked by Altantuya’s family lawyer, Harshaan Zamani, what happened after he was given the instruction, Ahmad said he went to see an officer, Zainuddin, and received a fax with handwriting on it confiscated by another officer, Zulkarnain.

Harshaan: What happened after you were shown the copy of the fax?

Ahmad: Zulkarnain rewrote part of the copy containing the name ‘Abdullah’, house address, Hotel Malaya Jalan Hang Lekir and the name ‘Amina’.

“After that, I went to see Razak on the same day in the interrogation room to obtain the samples of his handwriting,” he said.

Harshaan: How did you instruct Razak while taking samples of his handwriting? Was there only one copy or several copies?

Ahmad: I met Razak and told him my purpose. He agreed. I read the words written by Zainuddin and Razak then wrote them on an A4 size paper. There were five copies each, on both sides of the paper.

Harshaan: Did you take all 10 copies?

Ahmad: Yes. I also asked Razak to sign a piece of paper in front of me and on each of those copies.

Ahmad said he handed over the handwriting samples to investigating officer Tony Lunggan two days later.

Ahmad was the 10th witness to testify in the trial hearing the suit brought by Altantuya’s father, Dr Shaariibuu Setev, his wife Altantsetseg Sanjaa and their two grandsons, Mungunshagai Bayarjargal and Altanshagai Munkhtulga, on June 4, 2007.

They named former policemen Azilah Hadri and Sirul Azhar Umar, Razak and the Malaysian government as defendants.

13 May 2019

Go ahead do what you want, aide heard Razak Baginda telling Altantuya

• 5 minute read

SHAH ALAM: A secretary to political analyst Abdul Razak Baginda today told the High Court about a meeting between her boss and Altantuya Shaariibuu days before her brutal murder in 2006.

Siti Aisyah Mohd Azlan also said her boss had only asked policeman Azilah Hadri, one of two convicted in the murder of the Mongolian woman, to protect his family.

Siti Aisyah was testifying at the trial hearing the RM100 million suit by Altantuya’s family against the Malaysian government, Razak and the two men convicted of her brutal murder.

She said Razak told her that did not order Azilah to carry out the murder.

“He (Razak) called me into his room on Nov 11, 2006 to tell me something bad had happened,” Siti Aisyah told the High Court today.

“He said that ‘Amina’ is dead and it was Azilah who did it,” she said when questioned by Sangeet Kaur Deo, who is representing the family of Altantuya.

Aisyah today also identified Altantuya as “Amina”.

She said she had seen the Mongolian woman four times at Razak’s office between August and October 2006.

Aisyah said Razak had only met Altantuya once in his office in August 2006.

“They spoke about three minutes outside the office and I could hear Dr Razak telling her, ‘I got nothing to do with you. If you want to do anything go ahead’.

“He walked back into his office but Amina was still outside the office,” Aisyah said, adding that the woman followed Razak as he left the office later the day.

She said Altantuya had come to Razak’s office for three times but he did not meet her.

“She left notes to him and I passed them to Dr Razak,” she added.

Asked by Razak’s lawyer Manjeet Singh Dhillion on whether her boss had used profanities at “Amina” or attempted to push her away, Aisyah said Razak did not do so.

She also said there was no instruction from Razak to keep his meeting with Azilah on Oct 18, 2006 as confidential.

Hearing continues tomorrow before High Court judge Vazeer Alam Mydin Meera.

The court will also hear the family’s application to obtain relevant documents used in Altantuya’s previous criminal proceeding.

Go ahead do what you want, aide heard Razak Baginda telling Altantuya

7 May 2019


SHAH ALAM, May 6 — “If Altantuya Shaariibuu was still alive, she would have celebrated her 40th birthday today,” Dr Shaariibuu Setev, the father of slain Mongolian Altantuya Shaariibuu, said today.

Dr Shaariibuu, 69, said the media in Mongolia also published news on Altantuya’s birthday today, while his wife and other children held religious ceremonies as a remembrance of his eldest daughter.

Speaking to reporters outside the court after the RM100 million civil suit hearing, he said he had very high hope that justice would prevail as this case was not only followed by Malaysians or Mongolians, but globally.

Dr Shaariibuu, 69, who is a part time professor at the Mongolian National University added he met with Prime Minister Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad last year, and was promised justice on Altantuya’s death.

On another note, he also claimed that several issues arose involving Malaysia and Mongolia bilateral ties whereby representatives of both countries were seen not sitting together during international conferences.

Earlier, before the proceedings began in front of Justice Datuk Vazeer Alam Mydin Meera, Dr Shaariibuu informed the High Court that today was Altantuya’s birthday and requested everyone to observe a moment of silence.

Meanwhile, Civil Society and Human Rights Advisor to the President Uyanga Gantumur, who was present to follow the hearing today said both Mongolian government and its people would want the justice to be upheld and the responsible person punished.

The case gives impact to the bilateral ties of both nations, she said.


SHAH ALAM: The father of murdered Mongolian woman Altantuya Shaariibuu called for a minute’s silence at the High Court here today, to mark what would have been her 40th birthday.

Altantuya’s father, Dr Shaariibuu Setev, asked for a moment’s silence before court proceedings began this morning before Justice Vazeer Alam Mydin Meera. Dr Shaariibuu and family are suing the government for damages over Altantuya’s death.

He told the media later that news reports about Altantuya’s birthday were published in Mongolia today, where his wife and other children held religious ceremonies as a remembrance of his eldest daughter.

On Altantuya’s 40th birthday, a moment of silence in court


SHAH ALAM (Bernama): Dr Shaariibuu Setev, the father of slain Mongolian Altantuya Shaariibuu, told the High Court here that he has seen the picture of a murdered Mongolian woman together with two men which was produced to in court.

Dr Shaariibuu, 69, who is a part-time professor at the Mongolian National University, however, was slightly agitated when he was repeatedly questioned by Senior Federal Counsel Norina Bahadun about the picture of his daughter with the two men, which was said to have been altered.

He also questioned on the lawyer’s action who kept on asking about the picture, saying that he had seen the picture only once.

“You all are asking me the same question. Why not you call the people in the picture and ask themselves,” he said when asked by Norina, who acted for the Malaysian government at the hearing of a RM100mil suit filed by him and his family against two former policemen, Azilah Hadri and Sirul Azhar Umar; political analyst Abdul Razak Baginda and the Malaysian government.

Earlier, Norina suggested to Dr Shaariibuu that the picture was never shown to him by Altantuya.

Dr Shaariibuu also did not agree when asked by Norina that the picture actually never existed.

He said Altantuya had shown him the picture when she came to his office at the Mongolian National University.

He added, she took out the 8 x 12 centimetre sized picture from her handbag, and told the court he did not find the original photo after this.

When asked by his counsel Ramkarpal Singh on Altantuya’s purpose to come to Malaysia, Dr Shaariibuu said his daughter only showed him the picture.

“I was only shown the picture once. If I had known the importance of the picture, I am sure to have kept it then. Too many facts and not only the picture,” he added.

To a question by counsel Manjeet Singh Dhillon, acting for Abdul Razak Baginda, Dr Shaariibuu said the Royal Malaysia Police has never shown him the picture when he was testifying to them.

He explained that he only saw the picture once when it was shown by Altantuya but he could not remember fully.

Dr Shaariibuu also told the High Court that the police did not inform him on who allegedly altered the photo of the trio.


28 January 2019


Altantuya’s dad slams ex-Mongolian honorary consul to Malaysia

SHAH ALAM: Altantuya Shaariibuu’s father today questioned the integrity of a former honorary consul of Mongolia to Malaysia, who acted as a liaison officer between the family and the authorities here.

Shaariibuu Setev said his doubts about Syed Abdul Rahman Alhabshi were based on several incidents that took place over the course of his dealings with the latter in his daughter’s murder investigation.

On Aug 29, 2008, he said, Syed Abdul Rahman sent an email to the Mongolian foreign affairs ministry stating that he was a member of the then-ruling party and seeking to dismiss all speculation of the involvement of Najib Razak, who was deputy prime minister at the time.

In his witness statement today, Shaariibuu said the email was translated for him by a Mongolian lawyer after a ministry official, Ganbold D, provided him with a copy.

He also claimed Syed Abdul Rahman had invited him to his home in Kuala Lumpur, where he showed him a large photo of himself with Najib soon after the acquittal of Abdul Razak Baginda for abetment in Altantuya’s murder.

“He told me that they (Syed Abdul Rahman and Najib) were good friends,” Shaariibuu told the High Court when examined by lawyer Sangeet Kaur Deo.

Shaariibuu, a retired professor, said Syed Abdul Rahman had also insisted that he hand over records of Altantuya’s flight tickets and bank statements as well as several photographs of her.

“I was under the impression that they were to be used for the criminal trial,” he added. “I do not know whether all those documents were sent to the relevant authorities or used in the trial.”

Shaariibuu said he had also discovered that Syed Abdul Raman and a Mongolian ministry official known as Aruinbold were working against the interest of him and his family.


24 January 2019

SHAH ALAM (Bernama): Dr Shaariibuu Setev (pic), the father of slain Mongolian Altantuya Shaariibuu, told the High Court here that his daughter had informed him that she wanted to meet a man known as “Razak” in Malaysia in 2006.

Dr Shaariibuu, 69, who is a part-time professor at Mongolian National University, however, said he did not know which Razak that was meant by her daughter, whether it was “Najib Razak” (former prime minister Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak) or “Razak Baginda” (political analyst Abdul Razak Baginda).

“All that she (Altantuya) told me was ‘Razak’. I did not know which Razak -Najib Razak or Razak Baginda,” he said when asked by his counsel Ramkarpal Singh at the hearing of a RM100mil suit.

The suit was filed by Dr Shaariibuu and his family against two former policemen, Azilah Hadri and Sirul Azhar Umar, Abdul Razak and the Malaysian government.

Dr Shaariibuu also informed the court that he had asked Altantuya on the identity of “Razak” and the response from his daughter was that she wanted to seek help from that man to get medical treatment for her son.

The witness said “Razak” came into the picture during a conversation with his daughter at his house, a day before she left for Malaysia.

Ramkarpal: Did you know how this ‘Razak’ look when your daughter told you about him?

Dr Shaariibuu: I don’t know.

Ramkarpal: Did you ask your daughter or did you try to find out who is ‘Razak’?

Dr Shaariibuu: We had a conversation and during our conversation, she went to the toilet and her phone was ringing. Her bag was in front of me. I opened her bag and I saw a photo.

Asked by Ramkarpal what was in the photo that the plaintiff saw, Dr Shaariibuu said, “I asked her specifically who they are because my daughter was in the picture. She answered they were the people she wanted to meet in Malaysia.”

Dr Shaariibuu said he later discovered flight tickets purchased by “Razak” for Altantuya dated March 23, 2005 and a receipt from Habib, dated March 4, 2005 for jewellery costing RM11,300 which was sold to “Abd Razak Abdullah”.

“I also discovered a letter from Abdul Razak Baginda dated March 2, 2006 to the deceased paying her a sum of US$18,0000. The letter was not signed by him, but it was signed by the deceased in acknowledgement of receipt of the said funds,” he said.

Earlier, Dr Shaariibuu told the court that he knew that his daughter had visited Malaysia in 2005 and 2006 but did not remember the month.

“I knew about it because she told me that she was going to Malaysia around that time. At that time, I did not ask her the reason for her travel to Malaysia, neither did she tell me.

“I do not know if that was her first trip to Malaysia. I knew she went again to Malaysia after she returned from Malaysia in August 2006.”

Dr Shaariibuu said after August 2006, he knew Altantuya was going again to Malaysia when she called him over the phone to tell about the matter.

“I told her to come and see me before her departure. She came and met me around Oct 7 or 8, 2006. I had asked her why she travelled to Malaysia so often. I asked her if she had anybody as a reason for her visit to Malaysia so often, to which she said ‘yes’.

“She told me she was in a relationship with a ‘big man’ in Malaysia and his name was Baginda. She said the trip was important for her because she wanted to arrange the treatment for her son,” he said.

The trial before Judge Vazeer Alam Mydin Meera continues on Monday (Jan 28). – Bernama


24 January 2019


Altantuya Shaariibuu’s cousin is grilled on the existence of an alleged photograph depicting the slain Mongolian national with former premier Najib Abdul Razak.

Lawyer Manjeet Singh Dhillon posited that Burmaa Oyunchimeg had lied about having seen the photograph.

Manjeet is representing Altantuya’s former lover Abdul Razak Baginda in the RM100 million civil suit filed by the deceased’s family.

Yesterday, Burmaa told the Shah Alam High Court that Altantuya had shown her a photograph from her trip to Paris in which the deceased was with two men, Razak Baginda and a “deputy prime minister named Razak”.

Manjeet started his line of questioning by confirming with Burmaa if she had met Razak Baginda on three occasions in Hong Kong, Shanghai, and Singapore between 2004 and 2005, and spent time with him and Altantuya.

When she answered in the affirmative, the lawyer referred to her statement in court about asking Altantuya who were the men in the photograph when she had met Razak Baginda before.

Manjeet: Did you ask your friend (cousin) who are those in the picture?

Burmaa: No. I know Razak Baginda.

Manjeet: Listen to me.

Burmaa: Perhaps there was a mistake, but I know Razak Baginda.

Manjeet: You already know the mistake?

Burmaa: Yes, English is my second language.

Manjeet: Because you are lying to the court?

Burmaa: I am under oath.

Manjeet: Did you ask, who are these people?

Burmaa: Yes.

Manjeet: You know this man, you are globetrotting with him, staying in the same hotel, and you say you recognise him.

Burmaa: (Inaudible)

Manjeet: Don’t interrupt me. You looked at this picture and asked, who are they?

Burmaa: Yes.

Manjeet: You did not recognise Razak (Baginda)?

Burmaa: Yes, of course, I did.

Manjeet: Then why did you say this in your statement, ‘When we were back in Mongolia, she showed me pictures of her trip to Paris with Razak. I remember I saw a picture of three people, two men and Altantuya. I asked her who they were.’

There are two men. One is someone you spent time with, you mean to say you did not recognise both of them?

Burmaa: I did recognise Razak Baginda.

Manjeet: Then why did you say this in your statement and sign it?

Burmaa: I was mistaken.

Manjeet: You were mistaken?

Burmaa: By the word. I am not mistaken when I saw Razak Baginda.

Manjeet: Can I suggest that perhaps your English is not as good as you say it is?

Burmaa: Yes, you may.

Manjeet: Why did you make this simple error?

Burmaa: It happened between me and my sister (Altantuya). I was asking Altantuya who was in the picture with Razak Baginda and Altantuya.

Manjeet: I put it to you, you were never shown any picture.

Burmaa: I did.

Manjeet: I put it to you there was no such picture.

Burmaa: I saw it, I am telling you what I saw.

Manjeet: I put it to you, that this is a made up story.

Burmaa: I disagree.

The witness then explained that while she did not remember when exactly Altantuya had shown her the photograph, she was certain that it was after the two of them returned to Mongolia from their trip to Singapore in March 2015.

According to her, Altantuya had numerous photographs of her trip to Paris, especially of herself and with Razak Baginda, but also the alleged photograph with Najib.

The line of questioning then shifted to Altantuya’s sons.

Later, Manjeet asked Burmaa about a photograph submitted by the plaintiffs, which she said was similar to the photograph Altantuya had shown her.

Burmaa said the woman in that photograph was not Altantuya, and it was “the worst photoshop job” she had seen.

She said the photograph was unnatural as the men were not looking at the camera.

“In the original picture, they were all smiling,” she added.

However, she said the two men in the fake photograph, Najib and Razak Baginda, were the same men she saw in the original photograph.

She also made a passing comment that the original photograph “doesn’t exist anymore”.

Asked by senior federal counsel Jasmee Hameeza Jaafar about the photograph’s whereabouts, Burmaa said she did not know.

“I was told by Mr Ang that the photo is with Altantuya (when she came to Malaysia in October 2006).

“Mr Ang said he saw that photo too,” she added in reference to Ang Chong Beng, a private investigator hired by Altantuya.

Burmaa said there were other photographs from Altantuya’s trip to Paris, including those of her outside a Louis Vuitton boutique and of her and Razak Baginda in a Ferrari.

She said these photographs were still likely to be in the possession of Altantuya’s family in Mongolia.

23 January 2019



KUALA LUMPUR, Jan 23 — Datuk Seri Najib Razak reiterated today that he has never met Altantuya Shaariibuu, denying court testimony by the murdered Mongolian model’s cousin.

“That is slander. Lies. I never met her,” he was reported saying by Malaysiakini at Cameron Highlands today.

He was asked to respond to Altantuya’s first cousin Burmaa Oyunchimeg, who testified at the High Court in Shah Alam that Altantuya showed her a photo of herself, her lover Abdul Razak Baginda, and a deputy prime minister named “Razak” while testifying as first witness in the family’s RM100 million civil lawsuit against the Malaysian government.

Najib also pointed out that he had previously sworn in a mosque about the matter.


Altantuya Shaariibuu’s cousin reaffirmed seeing a photograph of the slain Mongolian national in Paris together with her then lover Abdul Razak Baginda and a “deputy prime minister” named Razak.

“When we were back in Mongolia, she showed me pictures of her trip to Paris. I remember seeing three people (in the photograph), two men and Altantuya,” said Burmaa Oyunchimeg.

“I asked her who they were, and she (Altantuya) said one was the deputy prime minister and the other was Razak who worked with him and did business together.

“I asked her if they were brothers because of the same name. She said no but they were best friends, business partners and worked together,” she told the Shah Alam High Court this morning.

Burmaa, who was testifying as a witness in a RM100 million civil suit filed by Altantuya’s family over her death, was most likely referring to the 2005 trip to Paris the deceased was said to have gone with Razak Baginda, a close confidant of fomer premier Najib Abdul Razak.

At the time, Najib was the deputy prime minister.

However, when shown a photograph of Najib, Razak Baginda and a woman, Burmaa said the woman was not Altantuya.

The photograph shown in court was the one PKR vice-president Tian Chua had admitted to composing in 2007.

Burmaa first raised seeing Najib in a photo with Razak and Altantuya during the latter’s murder trial in 2007.

Najib has repeatedly denied knowing Altantuya, or that he had any part in her death.


Altantuya Shaariibuu’s final visit to Malaysia was to seek money from her lover Abdul Razak Baginda for unpaid work, claimed her cousin Burmaa Oyunchimeg.

“She said she was going to collect money from Razak Baginda for work that she had done.

“She told me she had provided some translation services in a business deal in Europe for Razak Baginda and it was in an agreement that she would be paid for her services.

“She said he refused to pay her, so she was coming to collect her payment,” Burma told the High Court in Shah Alam today.

Burmaa was testifying as a witness in a RM100 million civil suit filed by Altantuya’s family over her death.

Previously in her 2007 murder trial, it was revealed that Altantuya had sought US$500,000 from Razak Baginda while causing a commotion outside her house.

This occurred two days before she was killed.

Razak Baginda had admitted to having an affair with Altantuya, which began in 2004.

In her testimony today, Burmaa (right in photo) said she first learned about the relationship in late 2004 when Altantuya and Razak Baginda came to Hong Kong where she was staying at the time.

Razak Baginda was there on a business trip, she said.

She then met the couple again on two separate occasions in Shanghai and Singapore in early 2005.

“This (trip to Singapore in March) was after their trip to Europe. They both told me they had a fun trip in Paris.

“Again he paid for everything, my flight (to Singapore), accommodation, meals, and shopping,” Burmaa said.

‘He really cared about her’

The 31-year-old said Razak Baginda also cared deeply for Altantuya.

This was detailed when Burmaa spoke about how Razak Baginda would call her to inform that he had transferred money to Altantuya.

“This happened quite a few times. He told me he really cared about her and he knew about her disabled son and really wanted to help her financially,” she said.

However the relationship soured in 2006, and Burmaa claimed to have received a text message from Razak Baginda saying he did not want to see Altantuya again.

17 January 2019

Setev Shasriibuu, the father of slain Mongolian national Altantuya Shasriibuu, will be in Malaysia next week to testify in the RM100 million suit against the Malaysian government, two former police officers and political analyst Abdul Razak Baginda.

The suit was filed by Setev and Altantuya’s children in 2007, a year after she was murdered.

Four years ago, the Federal Court overturned an earlier Court of Appeal decision and upheld the conviction of former police special forces personnel Azilah Hadri and Sirul Azhar Umar.

The pair was also sentenced to death, but Sirul managed to flee to Australia after the Court of Appeal acquitted them. He is being held at an immigration detention centre as Australian law forbids deporting those who face the death penalty in their home countries.

Lawyer Sangeet Kaur Deo told Malaysiakini that Setev would be the first witness to be called to testify in the suit.

“Hopefully, he will testify on Tuesday or Wednesday at the Shah Alam High Court after our discovery application is heard,” she said.

The civil trial would be conducted before Justice Vazeer Alam Mydin Meera for two weeks beginning Tuesday.

Last year, the judge ruled that notes and judgment in the criminal proceedings cannot be used in the civil trial, thus requiring Setev’s lawyers to possibly recall the witnesses who testified in the criminal trial.

Earlier this week, Sangeet filed a discovery application to have attorney-general Tommy Thomas reveal the contents of the statements recorded from the witnesses in the murder trial.

This included the statement of DSP Musa Safri, who was the former aide-de-camp of then deputy prime minister Najib Abdul Razak.

“We want all statements to be made available, including those of material witnesses who were not called by the prosecution during the criminal trial,” she said.

In an exclusive interview with Malaysiakini in 2015, Sirul said that Musa should have been called as a witness.

14 March 2018

Putrajaya renamed as party to suit brought by Altantuya’s family

PUTRAJAYA: The Court of Appeal has ordered the government to be included as a party to a RM100 million lawsuit filed by the family members of Mongolian Altantuya Shaariibuu who was murdered by two policemen.

A three-man bench led by Mohd Zawawi Salleh, in allowing the family’s appeal, said there were triable issues to be decided by the High Court.

Other members of the bench were Vernon Ong Lam Kiat and Ahmadi Asnawi.

Last year, Shah Alam High Court judge Ahmad Nasfy Yasin, in allowing Putrajaya to be excluded in the suit, said the plaintiffs had no reasonable cause of action.

The government, in its affidavit, had said the plaintiffs failed to plead that it was vicariously liable for the action of two policemen, Sirul Azhar Umar and Azilah Hadri, who were convicted for Altantuya’s murder.

“The bench has now reinstated the government as party to the suit and a trial will be held in the High Court in May,” lawyer Sangeet Kaur Deo told reporters.

The government can appeal against today’s decision to the Federal Court.

The suit, brought by Altantuya’s father Shaaribuu Setev, his wife Altantsetseg Sanjaa and two grandchildren, named Sirul, Azilah, political analyst Abdul Razak Baginda and the government as defendants.

The family alleges conspiracy in Altantuya’s murder and is seeking damages, including dependency claims.

The hearing of the suit was postponed pending the disposal of the murder case.

23 August 2017

Court annuls Altantuya family’s suit against Putrajaya

23 Aug 2017

Describing the decision as most disappointing, lawyer Ramkarpal Singh says he will file an appeal.

SHAH ALAM : The High Court here today allowed the Malaysian government’s application to strike out a RM100 million lawsuit filed by family members of Altantuya Shaariibuu who was murdered by two policemen.

Justice Ahmad Nasfy Yasin, in his oral grounds, said he found that the plaintiffs had no reasonable cause of action.

He also ordered Altantuya’s father Shaaribuu Setev and three others to pay the government RM1,000 in costs.

Lawyer Ramkarpal Singh, who represented family members of the Mongolian woman, said the judge would give his written grounds later.

“The reason advanced by the judge in allowing the government’s application is most disappointing,” he said.

Ramkarpal said he would file an appeal against the decision in the Court of Appeal on behalf of the family.

20 Oct 2016

Australian private server manages to serve papers on Sirul

Hafiz Yatim

The amended statement of claim on the suit filed by Shaariibuu Setev on the death of his daughter Altantuya has finally made its way to co-accused Sirul Azhar Umar at the Villawood Immigration Detention Centre in Sydney, Australia.

Lawyer Ram Karpal Singh confirmed with Malaysiakini today that the private process server his firm hired, after the Foreign Ministry failed to deliver the papers, has managed to serve them on Sirul.

“I will get an official notice of confirmation from the process server. Following that, I will inform the High Court in Shah Alam,” Ram Karpal said when contacted.

The next case management for the case is on Wednesday, Oct 26, before Justice Ahmad Nasfy Yasin.

27 September 2016

Setev’s lawyer engages private server to serve papers on Sirul

Hafiz Yatim

After more than a year of non-cooperation from the Foreign Ministry to serve the amended statement of claim on convicted murderer Corporal Sirul Azhar Umar in Australia, a lawyer representing Shaariibuu Setev and his two grandchildren has now engaged a private process server to do the job.

Lawyer Ramkarpal Singh said he hopes the papers would be served on Sirul before the next case management at the High Court in Shah Alam on Oct 26.

He informed the court on the latest development when the matter came up for case management before Justice Ahmad Nasfy Yasin today.

“We have engaged a firm of private process server in Sydney for this as the Foreign Ministry here (in Putrajaya) failed to do so. We hope the said documents will be served by the next case management date,” Ramkarpal said when contacted.

Setev is the father of the murdered Mongolian national Altantuya Shaariibuu.

It was reported that Setev and two of Altantuya’s children, Mungunshagai Bayarjargal and Altanshagai Munkhtulga, had filed a RM100 million suit on June 4, 2007 over her death.

They named Special Action Unit officers chief inspector Azilah Hadri and Sirul, political analyst Abdul Razak Abdullah Baginda and the Malaysian government as defendants in the suit.

Last year, Justice Suraya Othman had instructed Setev’s lawyer to pass the documents to court for it to be sealed and then sent to the Foreign Ministry for it to be delivered to the Malaysian High Commission there.

This was because the lawyers might not have the jurisdiction to hand over the documents in Australia.

Ramkarpal’s law firm had done the necessary to send the sealed court documents to the Foreign Ministry but it did not respond to the firm’s letters on whether the documents were in fact delivered.

25 August 2016

Comment by BN/UMNO cybertrooper:

Peter Lim Swee Aik Old news… and.this blogger tak boleh pakai

Blogger: Obviously, he doesn’t read the article or the date of the report, 24 August 2016!

24 August 2016

malaysiakini: Foreign ministry won’t cooperate in Altantuya suit, says lawyer

Hafiz Yatim


The civil suit that the family of slain Mongolian translator Altantuya Shaariibuu filed against her killers nearly a decade ago has hit a brick wall, following the Foreign Ministry’s seeming refusal to cooperate.

According to a lawyer representing the family, the ministry has not responded to their request that it help deliver court documents to Corporal Sirul Azhar Umar, who is being detained at the Villawood detention centre in Sydney, Australia.

Ram Karpal Singh, who is also Bukit Gelugor MP, said the court requires that the amended suit be served on Sirul as one of the respondents, and this has to be done through the Malaysian High Commission in Australia and the Foreign Ministry.

“However, after submitting the papers after almost a year there has not been any response from the ministry,” he said, when met at the Kuala Lumpur court complex today.

Ram questioned whether the ministry had a hidden agenda in not replying to the law firm or passing the documents to Sirul.

He said the firm would will have to find ways to serve the documents itself, without having to go through the Malaysian High Commission.

“The court has voiced concern as this is an old case, which started back last year following the verdict by the Federal Court,” he said.

Ram said the High Court in Shah Alam had fixed Sept 27 for case management, and he would have to inform the court of their progress in serving the papers to Sirul.

24 August 2016 | MYT 4:43 PM

Altantuya’s family seeks to get application to Sirul

KUALA LUMPUR: The family of Mongolian model Altantuya Shaariibuu is looking for an agent to deliver their application to former police commando Sirul Azhar Umar...

The family’s counsel, Ramkarpal Singh said that there has been no response to their queries although the application has been served to the Foreign Ministry in August 2015.

“We have waited for too long, and we are now looking at alternative, to serve the document to Sirul Azhar Umar through an agent,” he told reporters here on Wednesday,” said Ramkarpal.

Sirul is currently in a detention centre in Australia.

In the application, the family is seeking to amend their statement of claim to include the conviction and main findings against Sirul and former Special Action Unit personnel Azilah Hadri.

The application is a document in the RM100mil civil suit filed in 2007 by Altantuya’s family against the Government and three others over claims of alleged conspiracy and wrongful killing.

It was filed against former political analyst Abdul Razak Baginda, the Malaysian Government and the two men found guilty of murdering Altantuya.

However, the case stalled because the High Court wanted the criminal trial to conclude first.

In January 2015, the Federal Court sentenced Sirul and Azilah to death for Altantuya’s murder in 2006, though Sirul Azhar had escaped to Australia.

ALTANTUYA: Killers to hang by the neck until they’re dead!

The Altantuya case: Mongolian Women’s Federation (MWF) demands answers..

Malaysian Chronicle video: The night Altantuya was murdered – Americk Sidhu
Private Investigator P Balasubramaniam is dead but the Altantuya case may be very much alive!

The Shah Alam High Court has fixed further case management for March 13.

Altantuya civil suit finally moves forward |

After eight years, the RM100 million civil suit filed by the family of slain Mongolian Altantuya Shaariibuu against political analyst Abdul Razak Baginda and the Malaysian government, got some traction with the Shah Alam High Court today fixing further case management for March 13.

This would allow the family’s lawyers – Ramkarpal Singh and Sangeet Kaur Deo – time to retrieve court records following the recent Federal Court decision to re-convict and mete the death sentence on Chief Inspector Azilah Hadri and Corporal Sirul Azhar Umar for Altantuya’s murder.

Ramkarpal said he and co-counsel had met the Shah Alam High Court registrar this morning to discuss the matter.

He said court records for the appeal to the Federal Court were necessary for the suit as Azilah and Sirul were also named as defendants besides Abdul Razak and the government.

“Hence, we will use the time granted to gather the appeal records,” said Ramkarpal.

Family of murdered Mongolian to proceed with RM100 million civil suit against M’sian government

Murdered Mongolian model’s family to proceed with RM100 million civil suit against M’sian govt

The family of murdered Mongolian Ms Altantuya Shaariibuu will proceed with their RM100 million (S$37.08 million) civil suit against the Malaysian government.

Mr Setev Shaariibuu, Ms Altantuya’s father had originally filed the civil suit, on behalf of his family, against the Malaysian government in June 2007, reported The Malaysian Insider.

The family is seeking damages for “suffering, sorrow, as well and physical and mental anguish”.

According to The Malaysian Insider, the family’s lawyer said that the civil suit can now proceed since the criminal trial has been concluded.

During the original trial in October 2006, it was shown that Altantuya had been taken to the Puncak Alam hill, shot, then blown up with military-grade explosives.

Her remains were found scattered around the crime scene reported New Straits Times.

Location where parts of Ms Altantuya Shaariibuu’s body were found. Photo: Sin Chew Daily

File picture of Setev Setev (left, wearing spectacles). He speaking to the media during the press conference in 2006. TNP File

The family of Altantuya files a RM100 million suit!


SHAH ALAM: Altantuya Shaariibuu’s parents and her two young sons on Monday filed a civil suit at the High Court, claiming for dependency and seeking RM100 million in damages and costs.

Altantuya’s father Shaariibuu Setev, mother Altantsetseg Sanjaa, and two sons — Mungunshagai Bayarjargal, nine, and Altanshagai Munkhtulga, four — filed the writ of summons through Messrs Karpal Singh & Co at the court registry at 9.34am.

They named Chief Insp Azilah Hadri, Cpl Sirul Azhar Umar, Abdul Razak Baginda and the government of Malaysia as the defendants.

They said the murder of Altantuya caused them mental shock and psychological trauma, entitling them to exemplary and aggravated damages apart from compensatory damages.

They said the maintenance of her two sons amounted to RM6,000 a month and the medical expenses for the youngest son, who is disabled, at a hospital in Beijing cost about RM36,000 a year.

In the statement of claim, they said:

* Altantuya was raised in St Petersburg, Russia and educated in Beijing. She was fluent in Russian, English, Chinese and Japanese and worked as a freelance interpreter and translator;

* She was the sole breadwinner of her sons up to the time of her murder;

* Azilah and Sirul, accused of her murder, are attached to the Special Action Unit and servants of the government of Malaysia, which is liable for their actions; and

* Abdul Razak, charged with abetting the murder, is a political analyst to Deputy Prime Minister and Defence Minister Datuk Seri Najib Abdul Razak, and head of the Malaysian Strategic Research Centre closely linked to the government.


This entry was posted in altantuya, crime, malaysia, mongolian beauty murdered, najib, RM100m suit and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

4 Responses to Altantuya’s family sues the Malaysian government, two former police officers (Azilah Hadri and Sirul Azhar Umar) and political analyst Abdul Razak Baginda or RM100 million…

  1. Pingback: ALTANTUYA: Killers to hang by the neck until they’re dead! | weehingthong

  2. Simon Thong/weehingthong,

    I’ve written & published a book. Feel free to read it online and spread the free book promotion. Free Book Promotion begins on 5th June to 9th June 2016 :

    Warmest regards,

  3. Pingback: Was there a photo of Altantuya, Najib Razak and Razak Baginda? | weehingthong

  4. Pingback: Altantuya’s father: It’s Malaysia’s chance to clear her name! | weehingthong

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s