Ivermectin use and poisoning: Both on the increase in the USA



What Is Ivermectin?

By Evan Starkman
Medically Reviewed by Neha Pathak, MD on August 23, 2021

It’s dangerous for humans to take any drug made for animals, including ivermectin. A dose meant for a big animal like a horse or cow (which can weigh 2,000 pounds or more) can be toxic for a person. Also, some of the inactive ingredients in an animal medication might not be safe for people.




‘You are not a horse.’ FDA warns against use of ivermectin as a treatment for COVID-19

Mike Snider
Aug 23, 2021

Health officials warned against using a drug called ivermectin for unapproved use as a medicine to prevent or treat COVID-19.

The drug, which has been approved only as an anti-parasitic treatment for humans and animals such as livestock and horses, has been the subject of a spike in calls to the Mississippi Poison Control Center

The drugs produced for humans are different than the drug made for livestock, which is “highly concentrated and is toxic to people, and can cause serious harm,” the Mississippi State Department of Health said in an alert Monday. At least two people have been hospitalized with potential ivermectin toxicity after ingesting the drug produced for livestock, the state’s poison control center said Monday.



These are the states in The USA with reports of human Ivermectin poisoning: Texas, Mississippi, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Missouri, Oklahoma



This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s