Irregularities in MH370 audio recordings indicate possible editing, say experts
Audioforensic experts spotted several irregularities in audio recordings from the missing Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 which suggested they may have been edited, a United States news network reported.
According to NBC News, the experts said at least two different audio sources recorded the tapes, wherein one of those recordings may have been a digital recorder held up to a speaker.
Analysts who listened to the recordings also told NBC that they noticed four clear breaks in the audio that indicated edits, NBC reported.
“It’s very strange,” audio-video forensic expert Ed Primeau of Primeau Forensics was quoted as saying by NBC.
“At approximately 1:14… it sounds like someone is holding a digital recorder up to a speaker, so it’s a microphone-to-speaker transfer of that information. That’s a pretty big deal because it raises the first red flag about there possibly being some editing.”
Primeau and forensic audio examiner Kent Gibson also pointed out other details to NBC on their suspicions.
Gibson said that the tapes indicated that “Malaysian authorities or whoever presented this made edits for whatever reason”.
He added that ”it’s not the way to handle evidence,” but it also did not necessarily imply anything about the investigation.
“Unfortunately, there are no smoking guns, except there are edits. And there are clear edits,” Gibson was quoted telling NBC.
Questions over MH370 cargo emerge again following new information
BY LOOI SUE-CHERN
May 03, 2014
The release of new information on Malaysia Airlines (MAS) flight MH370’s cargo has again raised questions over the lithium ion batteries on board the missing jet.
The batteries were part of a larger “consolidated” shipment weighing about two tonnes, or equivalent to 2,453kg, a statement last night from MAS had said.
Saturday May 3, 2014 MYT 10:11:36 AM
What were the 2.3 tonnes? Lithium ion batteries weigh less than 200kg, says firm
BALIK PULAU: The lithium ion batteries are back in the centre of the MH370 controversy.
According to NNR Global Logistics (Malaysia) Sdn Bhd in Batu Maung, the batteries formed only a small part of a “consolidated” shipment weighing 2.453 tonnes.
The batteries weighed less than 200kg, a company spokesman said. He would not say what the remaining 2.253 tonnes of cargo was.
“I cannot reveal more because of the ongoing investigations. We have been told by our legal advisers not to talk about it,” he said.
In a statement issued last night, MAS said the rest of the consignment was radio accessories and chargers. But this has not been disclosed before and is not stated in the cargo manifest.
The MAS statement said: “About two tonnes, equivalent to 2,453kg, of cargo was declared as consolidated under one master airway bill. This master AWB actually comprised five house AWB. Of these five AWB, two contained lithium ion batteries amounting to a total tonnage volume of 221kg. The balance three house AWB, amounting to 2,232kg, were declared as radio accessories and chargers.”
The manifest released in the preliminary report on the missing MH370 on Thursday, however, shows that NNR Global shipped 133 pieces of one item weighing 1.99 tonnes and 67 pieces of another item weighing 463kg for a total weight of 2.453 tonnes. Neither the number of batteries nor its weight were specified.
The manifest came with an instruction that it should be handled with care and that flammability hazards exist. Its flammability had been the source of many earlier theories over how the plane was lost. However, most of the theories have been debunked.
The air waybill for the consignment was RM32,082.48.
10:42AM May 2, 2014
Military data to be reviewed before civilian handover
Military data to be reviewed
9.20am: Aviation experts and investigators, including the international team now based in Kuala Lumpur, will be holding a private meeting in the Australian capital of Canberra next week, the Wall Street Journal (WSJ) reported yesterday.
Quoting anonymous sources, the group will reportedly review military radar data and other information to help determine where MH370 might have crashed, and then present a report to civilian contractors who may take over the search in the coming weeks.
The civilian contractors would want to reanalyse existing data, the report quotes Australian Defence Minister David Johnston as saying, but some radar data would be considered too sensitive to hand over the contractors.
The report also claims Malaysia had managed to broker an agreement with neighbouring countries to share military radar data with US air crash investigators, which in turn allowed Boeing to determine that MH370 had been flying faster than its optimum cruising speed, and hence would have crashed earlier than anticipated.
The agreement was reached soon after the investigations team was assembled on March 24, the report says.
8:42PM May 1, 2014
Gov’t releases preliminary report, cargo manifest
The Malaysian government has released copy of the preliminary report into the disappearance of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370, which it submitted to the International Civil Aviation Organisation early last month.
In a statement, acting Transport and Defence Minister Hishammuddin Hussein said the decision to release the report, dated April 9, was made after an internal team of experts have concluded its review of the document.
Alongside the report, the government also released audio recordings of the communication between the cockpit and air traffic control on March 8 just before the aircraft lost contact, a map of a number of possible flight paths, as well as plane’s seating plan and cargo manifest.
Audio recordings of the communication between the cockpit and air traffic control on March 8 just before the aircraft lost contact:
Conversation between the cockpit of MH370 and Kuala Lumpur air traffic control
Map Showing MH370’s Flight Path
Seating Plan for MH370
Cargo Manifest for MH370
Actions Taken Between 01:38 And 06:14 On Saturday 8 MARCH
Actions Taken Between 01:38 And 06:14 On Saturday 8 MARCH
The Malaysian Insider - 1 hour agoPutrajaya today released the preliminary report on the missing Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 which showed that the search for the aircraft was …
Thursday May 1, 2014 MYT 10:43:48 PM
MH370: We should have been briefed of preliminary report, say families of missing crew
PETALING JAYA: Family members of the crew aboard MH370 felt that the authorities should have briefed them on the preliminary report on the missing Malaysia Airlines (MAS) flight before it was made public.
Nurlaila Ngah, the wife of steward Wan Swaid Wan Ismail, 42, said she did not expect anything shocking in the report.
“As family members, we feel that we should have been briefed on it,” she said at the Labour Day celebrations organised by MTUC here, which also saw the participation of the National Union of Flight Attendants Malaysia (Nufam) on Thursday.
Nurlaila, 40, a former MAS stewardess, also called on the airline to be more sensible towards the family members.
“When the incident first broke, MAS’ human resource department deposited my husband’s salary straight into his bank account. That prevented me from accessing the money.
“I struggled to pay bills and support the family with the help of friends and relatives before MAS eventually issued cheques to us,” said the mother of three children.
Wan Swaid was among the 12-member Malaysian crew in Flight MH370, which went missing en route from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing on March 8.
Thursday May 1, 2014 MYT 9:30:33 PM
MH370: Transport Ministry releases preliminary report, cockpit-air traffic control recordings
KUALA LUMPUR: The Transport Ministry has released the preliminary report regarding the disappearance of the Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 plane as well as recordings of conversation between the cockpit and KL air traffic control.
The report, which came from the office of the Ministry’s chief inspector of air accidents, details topics such as actions taken by authorities on the day of MH370’s disappearance, the plane’s cargo manifest and flight history as well as a map of its possible flight paths, among others.
In a statement, Transport Minister Datuk Seri Hishammuddin Tun Hussein said the report was made public as the information did not “hamper the investigation or the search operation, in the interests of openness and transparency,” a guiding principle espoused by Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak.