The Singapore Ministry of Health has released more details of the recent Tan Tock Seng Hospital outbreak
● Started with a nurse who had recieved both doses of Pfizer-BioNTech’s vaccine. She was infected with Indian B1167 covid variant.
● Altogether 40 hospital staff and patients were infected forming a cluster.
● Of the 40 cases, the 9 who had received full 2 doses of the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine were either asymptomatic or exhibited mild symptoms, and none had required oxygen support.
● Of the remaining 31 covid cases who had not been vaccinated, 7 required oxygen therapy and an 88 year old patient died
● Conclusion: The Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine may not totally prevent infection by an infectious Indian variant but is effective in preventing severe covid.