12 November 2018
KANGAR: Datuk Seri Shahidan Kassim has presented himself to the Sessions Court here on Monday morning (Nov 12) to face charges related to a molest case involving an underage girl.
The former Perlis Umno chief was seen arriving at 8.20am, using a walking stick, clad in a dark blazer and heavily-tinted sunglasses, accompanied by his wife and two unidentified women.
Some 50 supporters greeted him upon arrival. Inside the courtroom, other supporters also greeted him as he took his seat.
He was charged under Section 14(a) of the Sexual Offences Against Children Act 2017 (physical sexual assault on a child by touching any part of the child’s body).
He was granted permission to say a few words after the charge was read to him.
Shahidan then referred to the arrest warrant that had been issued against him on Friday (Nov 9).
“The arrest warrant was issued without any notice to me. Alhamdullilah (thanks to God), it has now been cancelled.
“Saya mendoakan agar keadilan dan kebenaran dapat ditegakkan (I pray that justice and truth can be upheld).”
Shahidan was allowed bail of RM25,000 with two sureties. He has also been allowed to keep his passport. The case is up for mention again on Jan 8.
9 November 2018
KANGAR, Nov 9 — The Kangar Sessions Court today issued a warrant of arrest against former minister in the Prime Minister’s Department Datuk Seri Shahidan Kassim for failing to be present in court to face charges, believed related to the case where an underaged girl was allegedly molested by him recently.
The arrest warrant was issued by Sessions Court judge Johari Abu Hassan following Deputy Public Prosecutor Mohd Nordin Ismail applying for it.
Counsel Syed Muhamad Anwar Syed Lokman Hakim, representing Shahidan, who is the Member of Parliament for Arau, had objected to the issuing of the arrest warrant citing that neither his client nor he had been informed about this earlier.
“I only got know about this (warrant of arrest) in court. My client is out of the country,” he said.
He added that the defence would be filing for a revocation of the arrest warrant.
“This is a high-profile case involving a politician. Shahidan is domiciled in Perlis and has not run away,” he said.
Based on the status uploaded on his Facebook, Shahidan is in the Holy Land performing the umrah (minor haj).
31 October 2018
On 20 October 2018, a police report was made by a teenage girl, 15, alleged that she was molested by Shahidan but the report was withdrawn by the victim’s family on the same day. It was speculated that the family has taken the decision due to bribery.  The victim from Arau, Perlis, wrote in her police report that she was told by her teacher that the former minister had wanted to see her after he saw her perform with a band at Stadium Tuanku Syed Putra.The secondary school student had been performing with a group, Kumpulan Aukustika on 7@DSSK Busker. According to her, when she went to the Shahidan’s car, he invited her to play in Kuala Lumpur and offered her an RM4,000 fee. She alleged that during the discussion, he held her hand and caressed her shoulder without her consent. The student said she immediately ran out of the car.
KUALA LUMPUR: Arau MP Shahidan Kassim today said the only reason he invited a teenager who accused him of molesting her into his car was because he was unable to walk.
He said he wanted to hand over a donation to the 15-year-old, who is a singer with a busking group called “Kumpulan Busker DSSK”. DSSK stands for Datuk Seri Shahidan Kassim.
He added that he had always encouraged youths to involve themselves in “halal” activities.
“There’s nothing more to it, it’s just that I couldn’t walk,” he told reporters at the Parliament lobby when asked why the teenager had gotten into his Toyota Harrier.
The former menteri besar also said he regarded the youth in Perlis as his children and grandchildren.
Yesterday, Perlis police chief Noor Mushar Mohd revealed that Shahidan had asked the teen to meet him in his car to “have a chat”.
He also said the MP and the girl were alone in the car.
According to the girl’s police report, Mushar said, the MP had suddenly touched her hand and shoulders. She brushed his hand away and left the vehicle immediately in tears.
29 October 2018
PETALING JAYA, Oct 29 — Investigators from Bukit Aman will meet a former minister tomorrow after a teenager lodged and then withdrew a police report against him for sexual assault.
A police source told Malay Mail that the former minister has been contacted, during which he told police he would cooperate with investigations.
“The investigating team will record his statement tomorrow afternoon.
“Investigators will also interview the victim aged 15 to find out why she withdrew the police report,” the source said when contacted.
The girl retracted her police report a day after lodging it in Perlis on Oct 20.
Perlis police chief SAC Noor Mushar Mohd confirmed that investigators from Bukit Aman’s sexual, women and child investigation department (D11) were handling the case.
“D11 officers will interview the former minister on the police report lodged by the victim,” he said.
Noor Mushar also denied that police were trying to protect the former minister and said Perlis police had filed the case under Section 14(a) of the Sexual Offences Against Children Act 2017 after receiving the report from the victim.
Malaysian Crime Watch Task Force (MyWatch) chairman Datuk R. Sri Sanjeevan claimed yesterday of attempts to cover up the case.