16 August 2017
Nationwide hunt for brain behind outbreak of violence at forum
POLICE have arrested 10 suspects linked to the fracas at Sunday’s Nothing To Hide forum in Shah Alam, and are now zooming in on nabbing the instigator of the incident.
The Malaysian Insight learnt that following the arrests of three youths at the scene on Sunday, Selangor police have gone as far as Kangar, Perlis to nab others in follow-up operations.
“One was picked up in Kangar while six others were picked up at various locations in the Klang Valley yesterday,” a source told The Malaysian Insight.
The seven are aged between 20 and 30.
“We are not only looking for the troublemakers but also those behind these youths. That is part of the investigations,” Fadzil told The Malaysian Insight.
It is understood that police have seized the suspects’ handphones.
15 August 2017
PETALING JAYA: Seven more men have been arrested in connection with the ruckus at the Nothing to Hide 2.0 forum on Sunday, bringing the total number of individuals detained so far to 10.
Selangor CID chief Senior Asst Comm Fadzil Ahmat said remand would be requested for the suspects, aged between 20 and 30, who were picked up by police yesterday, The Star reported.
He told the daily that police are also looking for several other people to assist in the investigation.
“We are also investigating the rioting aspect as well as the use of flares during the fracas,” he was quoted as saying.
Shah Alam police chief gets flak for blaming fracas on organiser’s security lapse
LAWMAKERS and activists have slammed Shah Alam police chief Shafien Mamat for zooming in on the organisers instead of the troublemakers over yesterday’s fracas at the Nothing to Hide forum.
“He is not behaving like a top cop should,” said DAP leader Zaid Ibrahim.
“The organisers did not cause the mayhem, so the police should be more interested in finding the troublemakers,” said the former federal minister who was present at the forum at the Raja Muda Musa Hall in Shah Alam.
Shafien said yesterday police would quiz Bersatu members for the security lapse and failure to prevent the disturbance caused by at least five youths throwing shoes and chairs and lighting up flares while Dr Mahathir Mohamad spoke on stage during a Q&A session.
Shafien said police had permitted the forum to take place upon the condition that the organisers guaranteed the safety and security of the participants.
“The organiser’s responsibility is to ensure public safety and that no one will cause trouble and so forth,” he said.
Hakam president Ambiga Sreenevasan said police did not prioritise the victims.
“I cannot understand the reaction of the police, which is telling in itself. Is it because Umno may be involved? What does this mean?
“What happened could constitute rioting and is extremely serious. The priority must be to apprehend and investigate the perpetrators of the violence.
Ambiga, who is former president of the Malaysian Bar, condemned the police’s failure to open a formal investigation into the three detained suspects.
“I understand that the IGP has said there is no investigation yet because there is no police report.
“This is simply outrageous as they are obliged to act when an offence is committed without the need for a report,” she said.
In a Facebook post, Petaling Utara MP Tony Pua said, “Instead of saying we will track down the rioters, first thing the Selangor CPO says he wants to do is to question the organisers for ‘failing to ensure security’.
Activist and lawyer Siti Kasim said: “This is like accusing the owner of a house who got burgled and grilled them on why they don’t secure their house like a fortress instead of questioning the burglars.
“Nothing he said makes sense if they want to question the organiser on their so called ‘lapses in safety’. It’s a forum lah… open to public…”
Professor of law at University of Malaya, Azmi Sharom quipped, “because if a person gets mugged you investigate him for not learning martial arts!”.
14 August 2017
PPBM put up in pic of the trouble makers at the nothing2hide forum. Its clear the trouble makers are most probably paid by masterminds.
So the question now is, who paid them RM 50 each (plus t-shirt) to be there?
Suspects paid RM50 each to attend forum
THE suspects who allegedly started the fracas at the Nothing to Hide 2.0 forum yesterday were paid RM50 each to attend the event, police said.
It is learnt that they were among a group of youths asked to wait in Setiawangsa, where they were handed out T-shirts with the Bersatu logo, sources close to the investigation said.
Selangor police, with Shah Alam police taking the lead, are currently going through photos and recordings to identify others in the group. Only three youths are currently in remand. Their four-day remand ends on Thursday.
The trio in police custody are being investigated under Section 15(2)d of Peaceful Assembly Act, Section 153 of the Penal Code for rioting and Section 8 of Corrosive and Explosive Substance and Offensive Weapons Act.
Nothing2hide forum,d 1 wear d cap posed questions was d 1 who started troubles.Other snaps hve him wit Jamal jamban& tg karang. Who’s behind
Annuar Musa: Irresponsible to blame Umno for Dr M forum violence
KUALA LUMPUR, Aug 14 — Accusing Umno for the ruckus at yesterday’s Parti Pribumi Bersatu Malaysia’s (PPBM) “Nothing To Hide 2.0” forum was irresponsible and unfair, Tan Sri Annuar Musa said.
Despite that, the Umno information chief admitted he viewed the forum as a “provocative” event, and pointed that the organisers seem to have purposely welcomed the problem.
“Umno would like to remind the organisers, especially PPBM, not to simply accuse Umno Youth that is becoming viral on social sites.
“It is an irresponsible act [to blame Umno], so let it be investigated. We can also say that this is staged to develop accusations [against Umno],” he was quoted as saying in Berita Harian today.
Annuar also questioned the purpose of holding another event when the first of such gathering also resulted in problem, referring to the unrelated “Nothing to Hide” forum in 2015 that was inevitably cancelled.
Syed Saddiq: PPBM youth wing has no teenage members
KUALA LUMPUR, Aug 14 — The three teenagers detained on suspicion of attempted assault towards Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad at the “Nothing To Hide 2.0” forum yesterday were not Parti Pribumi Bersatu Malaysia (PPBM) members, its Youth wing chief Syed Saddiq Syed Abdul Rahman said.
“They were just teenagers aged 17,18 and 19 years old. For your information, there is an age requirement to become an ARMADA member, and we had also checked the trio’s membership with PPBM. They are not in any way PPBM members.
“They were merely hired teenagers to masquerade as ARMADA members, armed with an ARMADA t-shirt, and the ARMADA t-shirt they wore is not the official t-shirt,” Syed Saddiq said in a statement.
13 August 2017
Ooh the trolls are out. So yr mothers taught you to throw slippers at people? To scare old ladies? Such big brave boys!!
Lawyers: Forum chaos an escalation of violence due to past inaction
Prominent lawyers Eric Paulsen and Ambiga Sreenevasan condemn attack during Nothing to Hide 2.0, saying it is continuation of ‘thuggish’ behaviour which went unchecked previously.
PETALING JAYA: Lawyer-activist Eric Paulsen believes the chaos that broke out at a forum attended by Dr Mahathir Mohamad, is an “escalation of violence” due to inaction by authorities in the past.
He condemned the direct attack on the former prime minister, who was accompanied by his wife Siti Hasmah Mohd Ali at the Nothing to Hide 2.0 forum in Shah Alam today.
“It’s one thing to heckle a 92-year-old, but another to throw projectiles at him and also Siti Hasmah, who was on stage with him,” said Paulsen, who is the executive director of Lawyers for Liberty.
“What were the culprits trying to accomplish?” the human rights lawyer asked over the incident.
Paulsen added that authorities must view this as a serious incident and take action against the culprits.
He added that the perpetrators had committed several criminal offences and can be investigated and charged with rioting, creating public mischief, assault, attempted arson and the possession of illegal weapons, like flares.
“If this happened at any event in which a minister was present, I’m sure the police and Attorney-General would waste no time in coming down hard on the perpetrators.”
Paulsen said the bigger question was why an escalation of violence like this was happening.
“To me, people have been emboldened because, in the past, acts of violence against opposition leaders or provocative actions of Umno members haven’t been taken seriously.”
Meanwhile, former Bersih 2.0 chairperson Ambiga Sreenevasan said the incident was reminiscent of the same thuggish behaviour exhibited during the last general election.
“It doesn’t take a genius to figure out who are the culprits behind this incident.
“This has to stop. Enough is enough,” she told FMT, adding that violence cannot be condoned under any circumstances.
The human rights activist also called for the public to reject such behaviour, while leaders must disassociate themselves from it as well as condemn the incident.
“The police must act swiftly and decisively.”
Meanwhile, Asian Strategy and Leadership Institute (Asli) chairman Ramon Navaratnam said the incident was unacceptable.
“This does not reflect moderation, it is not the Malaysian way.
“The police must exercise great diligence in apprehending the culprits and preventing future incidences.”
Navaratnam said that should the authorities fail to act fast, it will erode public confidence.
Nurul Izzah Retweeted malaysiakini.com
You hv sufficient evidence to act on the perpetrators, Minister
Nurul Izzah added,
SHAH ALAM, Aug 13 — A Chinese DAP youth worker was hailed as a hero for risking his life to save a group of Malays from assailants that violently disrupted a forum here that featured Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad as the main speaker.
A teary Parti Pribumi Bersatu Malaysia (PPBM) youth chief Syed Saddiq Abdul Rahman told reporters after the incident that the DAP worker, by the name of Danial, did his duty as a security worker by taking a beating to protect a group of Malays from getting hurt.
Read more at http://www.themalaymailonline.com/malaysia/article/dap-worker-hailed-for-protecting-malays-during-clash-at-dr-ms-forum#wyFtKPYiyzmasgVJ.99
‘Provocateurs intended to hurt Dr M, acquired Bersatu Youth T-shirts’
Parti Pribumi Bersatu Malaysia (Bersatu) Youth T-shirts were distributed for free amongst alleged agent provocateurs prior to the Nothing to Hide 2 event in Shah Alam today, claimed Bersatu Youth chief Syed Saddiq Abdul Rahman.
Syed Saddiq said the intent was for them to slip into the function, organised by Bersatu Youth, and cause harm to party chairperson Dr Mahathir Mohamad.
“There was a systematic element of sabotage… We believe it was meant to sabotage this program and hurt Mahathir.
“From initial police investigations, they wore Armada T-shirts,” he told a press conference after order was restored at the function.
Armada is the official name for Bersatu Youth.
Piles of red t-shirts, allegedly worn by the provocateurs, were put on display during the press conference.
“Why do we say that? Because when they ran they took off the Armada shirts,” added Syed Saddiq.
Earlier police escorted two suspects from a VIP holding room at the venue. The two were wearing Bersatu Youth T-shirts.
#AWANInews #HariIni8 Chairs and flares ‘fly’, chaos breaks out at Nothing to Hide 2.0 http://english.astroawani.com/politics-news/chairs-and-flares-fly-chaos-breaks-out-nothing-hide-2-152254 …
Tun Mahathir and wife Tun Siti Hasmah Mohd Ali were quickly protected by security personnel and whisked away right after the incident.
Ambitious jugak la budak2 Armada ni. Japgi Jamal Jamban datang boleh la bagi duduk.