30 Jan 2017
Three arrested over capsized catamaran case
Police today arrested three people, including a boat owner, over the capsize of a catamaran ferrying Chinese tourists to Pulau Mengalum last Saturday.
Sabah Police Commissioner Ramli Din said the 44-year-old owner of the catamaran was arrested in Kota Kinabalu at about 4pm.
“Police found that the owner, who also doubles up as the manager, has breached procedures, including overloading the boat.
“Police will also investigate whether negligence led to the deaths of tourists,” he said at a press conference in Kota Kinabalu.
Twenty tourists were rescued, three were found dead and four are missing after the catamaran carrying 27 Chinese tourists and three crew capsized at about 10am last Saturday while heading for Pulau Mengalum from the Tanjung Aru jetty here.
Skipper and crewman arrested over Sabah boat mishap.
KOTA KINABALU: The skipper and a crewman of the ill-fated catamaran that sank while on a journey to Pulau Mengalum on Saturday have been detained.
Sabah Police Commissioner Datuk Ramli Din said both men had been held under Section 304A of the Penal Code for causing death by negligence.
He said in a Twitter posting that the two men were being held to assist police in their investigations into the incident.
The 26-year-old skipper and 38-year-old crewman were the first to be picked up from waters near Pulau Tiga early Sunday.
They were subsequently taken back to Kota Kinabalu and brought to the district police station here.
List of survivors, deceased, in capsized catamaran tragedy released
KUALA LUMPUR: The identities of almost all of the 25 victims found from the capsized catamaran near Pulau Mengalum have been ascertained.
Of the 25, three were found dead.
Five Chinese tourists and one crew member remain missing, and the search and rescue operation continues.
The boat was carrying 28 Chinese tourists, a skipper and two crewmembers, including a Filipino, from the Tanjung Aru jetty in Kota Kinabalu to Pulau Mengalum, when it capsized in rough seas on the first day of the Chinese New Year.
Sabah boat mishap survivors arrive in KK
29 Jan 2017
JUST IN: 3 people on board boat that went missing off Sabah have been confirmed dead, say Malaysian authorities
SINGAPORE: Three people have died and six remain missing after a tourist boat sank off Malaysia’s Sabah state on Saturday (Jan 28), according to the Malaysian Maritime Enforcement Agency (MMEA).
There were 31 people on board the catamaran, 28 of which are Chinese nationals.
Earlier on Sunday, MMEA had said that 25 people had been found and were safe, but subsequently confirmed that three had died.
The Chinese consulate in Kota Kinabalu said multiple survivors “were reported drifting at sea waiting for rescue,” the official Xinhua News Agency reported.
#BREAKING: Consulate General of China says boat carrying 28 Chinese tourists sinks in Malaysia, multiple survivors wait for rescue at sea
Spotter planes called in to step up the search for missing Sabah boat
PETALING JAYA: The Chinese consulate in Kota Kinabalu earlier today called for efforts to locate the missing Catamaran boat to be stepped up and that is exactly what Malaysian authorities are doing.
Prime Minister Najib Razak has tweeted: “Search and rescue operation has been launched, and will monitor the development.”
Meanwhile, Sabah Chief Minister Musa Aman said he has ordered the national agencies involved in the search and rescue mission to also use spotter planes to improve the chances of finding the boat and the 31 people on it.
“The Malaysian Maritime Enforcement Agency (MMEA) has mobilised the necessary vessels, equipment and manpower for the search and rescue mission.
Skipper, crew member of missing catamaran found safe, search continues for Chinese tourists
“However, I cannot confirm this until we meet and speak to them,” he said when contacted.
Skipper of missing boat found, search ongoing for China tourists
Fishermen found the skipper near Pulau Tiga, off Kuala Penyu, at about 2pm on Sunday, according to maritime sources.
The search is ongoing for the 28 China tourists and two other crew members of the boat.
The boat, which set off from Tanjung Aru at 9am on Saturday on its way to Pulau Mengalum, was reported missing at about 9.50pm by its owner.
This is the missing boat that’s sparked 400-square mile search off Sabah coast
PETALING JAYA: The boat that went missing yesterday off the coast of Sabah with 28 China tourists and three crew looks like a tight squeeze for so many people.
The air force, navy and marine police are on a full-scale search for it over 400 square miles of sea.
Photos on a WhatsApp media group show a white boat with a registration number matching that of the missing Catamaran.
It has four rows of seats and standing room on the deck. It’s powered by two 250 horsepower Yamaha engines.
Vessel with 28 Chinese tourists on board goes missing
A catamaran with 31 people on board including 28 tourists from China is believed to have gone missing while en route from the Tanjung Aru jetty in Kota Kinabalu to Pulau Mangalum yesterday.
The Malaysian Maritime Enforcement Agency (MMEA) said the catamaran left the jetty at 9am.
29 Jan 2017
Masidi: We’re doing our best to locate missing boat with China tourists
KOTA KINABALU: Sabah Tourism, Culture and Environment Minister Datuk Seri Masidi Manjun said the search and rescue team is doing its best to locate the missing boat with 28 China tourists and crew of three.
“I, like all the relatives of those on board, am hoping for progress in the search and rescue operation.
“Our forces are trying their best,” he said on Sunday.
KOTA KINABALU: Bad weather is hampering search operations for the 28 China tourists and three crew members of a catamaran that went missing on a trip to Pulau Mengalum.
Sabah and Labuan Malaysian Maritime Enforcement Agency (MMEA) deputy director Rahim Ramli said Sunday that the search covers an area of about 400 sq miles.