WANT TO GET MARRIED? THE GOVERNMENT SAYS THAT YOU MUST ATTEND THEIR ‘SMARTSTART’ COURSE’. No exemptions! All races (and that means regardless of religion) must attend.
The course will provide you with the knowledge and skills required in married life.
A pertinent question: Will the course take into consideration cultural and religious differences in the perception of marriage?
Couples intending to wed must attend SMARTSTART course.
Couples intending to wed must attend ‘StartSmart’ course http://bit.ly/1CdypAZ
The ‘SmartStart’ course which has all this while been attended on a voluntary basis by couples from all races who intended to get married, will be made compulsory before the end of next year.
Women, Family and Community Development Minister, Rohani Abdul Karim said the ministry was now in the process of discussing the matter with various parties including the Malaysia Islamic Development Department (Jakim) and other religious institutions.
“The course is aimed at preventing marital break-ups,” she told reporters after officially opening at the commemoration of the International Day Against Violence Against Women 2014 in Kuala Lumpur yesterday.
“The course module has been implemented by the National Population and Family Development Board (LPPKN) since May 2003 for all races to provide newly-married couples or those intending to marry soon with the knowledge and skills required in married life.
Rohani said the course focused on various marital and parenting aspects, besides providing psychosocial support to couples experiencing married life so that they would have a blissful marriage.
What is the ‘SmartStart’ course?
Couples planning to get married must be well prepared in order to create a harmonious marriage. Hence, the National Population and Family Development Board organises the SMARTSTART Premarital Programme for couples who are planning to get married and those who have recently married (not more than five years) in four languages, i.e. Malay, English, Mandarin and Tamil.
This module has been developed to provide newly married couples and those who are planning to get married with knowledge and skills on the various aspects of marriage and parenting so as to support them psychologically and prepare them for a harmonious marriage life.
- To provide knowledge and skills in preparation for marriage.
- To prepare couples mentally and build positive attitudes.
- To provide a safe platform for couples to understand and discover themselves and their partner.
- Newly married couples (married less than 5 years) and couples who are planning to get married.
- Multiracial – Malay, Chinese, Indians and other races.
- A maximum of 25 couples are required in one course in order to enable couples to interact efficiently and benefit from the course
The course consists of 7 sessions as followst :
Sesion 1 : Getting to know yourself
Sesion 2 : Exploring our hopes
Sesion 3 : Overcoming conflicts and challenges
Sesion 4 : Remember! Express your feelings
Sesion 5 : Building sexual intimacyl
Sesion 6 : Managing family resources
Sesion 7 : Family law
Couples will be provided with a workbook based on the activity of each session and a guidebook for couples who have recently or are planning to get married. The guidebook consists of the following chapters:
Chapter 1: Preparation for marriage
Chapter 2: Marriage
Chapter 3: Family health
Chapter 4: Pregnancy and birth
Chapter 5: Parenting
Chapter 6: Managing family resources
Chapter 7: Overcoming pressure and conflicts
Chapter 8: Family law
Chapter 9: Family information
Checklist for Brides
- Pledge of Love
- 2 days
NGOs and Religious Bodies which are interested in applying for the implementation assistance grant may apply at LPPKN through the following channels:
- NPFDB headquaters
- Administration Office of NPFDB state
- Official Website (SMARTSTART)
- NGOs will be given a financial assistance of RM 8,000 per programme for programmes implemented in West Malaysia and RM 9,000 per programme for programmes implemented in Sabah, Sarawak and the Federal Territory of Labuan.
- Each NGO is permitted to apply for the implementation of 3 programmes in each application.
- NGOs must secure at least 20 couples and at most 25 couples for the implementation of each programme.
A RM 50.00 fee is imposed on each couple. Fees are collected by the organiser (NGO or LPPKN).
SMARTSTART Pre-Marital Course Secretariat,
National Population and Family Development Board,
No.12B, Jalan Raja Laut,
50350 Kuala Lumpur.
|TEL||:||+603-26937555 ext. 2170/1201|