REPORT: Capitol Rioters Hoped To Hang Mike Pence, And They Came Close To Finding Him
January 15, 20214:07 PM ET
Rioters may have been within one minute of finding Vice President Mike Pence when they stormed the Capitol on January 6.
Pence was not evacuated from the Senate chamber until 14 minutes after rioters first began to break through the doors and enter the building — and when they reached the second floor landing, he had been moved to another room just 100 feet away, according to a report from The Washington Post. (RELATED: REPORT: Republican Senator Says ‘I’ve Known Mike Pence Forever. I’ve Never Seen Pence As Angry As He Was Today’)
Jessica Schneider broke down the report during a Friday appearance on “CNN Newsroom” with Jim Sciutto.
“Vice President Pence wasn’t whisked away until those rioters were even inside of the Capitol, so it says that for 14 minutes after the Capitol Police reported that initial breach, that is still when Vice President Pence was at the Senate dais,” Schneider explained.
Schneider went on to note that Pence’s wife and daughter were present as well, to witness as he presided over the certification of the Electoral College vote, and that all three were then taken to a nearby office.
“But then they say one minute after Pence, and this is striking, one minute after he was hustled out of the chamber, a group charged the stairs to a second floor landing in the Senate,” Schneider continued. “That is some of the video we’ve seen the rioters rushing up the stairs at one point there was that one Capitol Police officer who was trying to hold them back. Trying to redirect them.”
The report concluded that if Pence had been moved even a few seconds later, the rioters might have made it to the landing before he and his family members could be safely hidden in the office with the door closed behind them.
“So it was very tight here. Of course the vice president was ushered away. But this minute-by-minute accounting giving us a look at how perilously close Vice President Pence came to danger, guys,” Schneider said.
Secret Service spokeswoman Catherine Milhoan issued a statement regarding the situation, saying, “While the Secret Service does not speak specifically about the means and methods of our protective operations, Vice President Pence was secure at all times on Jan. 6.”
Proud Boys Intended To Kill Mike Pence and Nancy Pelosi, FBI Witness Says
BY AILA SLISCO
ON 1/15/21 AT 6:32 PM EST
An FBI witness says that members of the far-right Proud Boys had hoped to assassinate Vice President Mike Pence and Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi during last week’s violent storming of the U.S. Capitol.
An FBI special agent made the claim in an affidavit as part of a criminal complaint against 43-year-old Dominic Pezzola, who is accused of taking part in the riot in support of President Donald Trump‘s false claims that the presidential election was “stolen.” Pezzola, who is also known as “Spaz,” allegedly used a shield taken from a Capitol Police officer to smash a Capitol window before entering the building. An FBI witness said that the group Pezzola was with had discussed committing violent acts that went far beyond property damage.
“[The witness] stated that other members of the group talked about things that they had done during the day, and they said that anyone they got their hands on they would have killed, including Nancy Pelosi,” the affidavit, which was filed Wednesday, reads. “[The witness] further stated that members of this group, which included ‘Spaz,’ said that they would have killed [Vice President] Mike Pence if given the chance.”
“The group said it would be returning on the ’20th,’ which your affiant takes to mean the Presidential Inauguration scheduled for January 20, 2021,” it continues. “And that they plan to kill every single ‘m-fer’ they can. [The witness] stated the men said they all had firearms or access to firearms.”
The F.B.I. arrested two men on Sunday who were photographed in the Senate chamber clad in military-style clothing and holding zip ties.
Both Eric Gavelek Munchel and Larry Rendell Brock have been arrested.
Texas man carried zip-ties ‘to take hostages’ during U.S. Capitol riot, prosecutor says
By JAKE BLEIBERG The Associated Press
Posted January 14, 2021 8:57 pm
FORT WORTH, Texas (AP) — A retired Air Force officer who was part of the mob that stormed the U.S. Capitol last week carried plastic zip-tie handcuffs because he intended “to take hostages,” a prosecutor said in a Texas court on Thursday.
“He means to take hostages. He means to kidnap, restrain, perhaps try, perhaps execute members of the U.S. government,” Assistant U.S. Attorney Jay Weimer said of retired Lt. Col. Larry Rendall Brock Jr. without providing specifics.
The prosecutor had argued that Brock should be detained, but Magistrate Judge Jeffrey L. Cureton said he would release Brock to home confinement. Cureton ordered Brock to surrender any firearms and said he could have only limited internet access as conditions of that release.
“I need to put you on a very short rope,” Cureton said. “These are strange times for our country and the concerns raised by the government do not fall on deaf ears.”
Brock appeared in court in a light green jumpsuit, a mask and with shackles at his hands and feet.
Weimer did not detail a specific plan by Brock but noted “his prior experience and training make him all the more dangerous.”
He also read in court social media posts from Brock, including one posted on the day of the Capitol riot that said: “Patriots on the Capitol. Patriots storming. Men with guns need to shoot their way in.”
The F.B.I. arrested two men on Sunday who were photographed in the Senate chamber clad in military-style clothing and holding zip ties, according to a statement issued by the Justice Department.
One of the men, Eric Gavelek Munchel, 30, was taken into custody in Nashville on one count of unlawfully entering a restricted building and one count of violent entry and disorderly conduct on Capitol grounds, the department said. One of the officials involved in the case said authorities also recovered several weapons at the time of his arrest.
The department also said that photographs of a person who appeared to be Mr. Munchel showed him “carrying plastic restraints, an item in a holster on his right hip, and a cell phone mounted on his chest with the camera facing outward, ostensibly to record events that day.”
Efforts to reach Mr. Munchel before his arrest were unsuccessful.
The other man, Larry Rendell Brock, was arrested in Texas on the same charges after he was allegedly identified as one of the people who broke into the Capitol. The department said in its statement that images of a person who appeared to be him showed Mr. Brock clad in “a green helmet, green tactical vest with patches, black and camo jacket, and beige pants holding a white flex cuff, which is used by law enforcement to restrain and/or detain subjects.”
The two men are among the more than a dozen people charged by federal authorities in connection with the attack on Congress. Internet researchers pieced together what was thought to be their identities in the days after the siege. Investigators in Washington, Tennessee and Texas are working on the cases; and the cases will be prosecuted by the U.S. Attorney’s Office in Washington and the counterterrorism section of the Justice Department’s National Security Division.
Mr. Munchel traveled to Washington with his mother, Lisa Eisenhart, and the pair said in an interview with The Times of London that they broke into the Capitol to observe the action, and that they left after rioters talked about stealing electronics and government papers.