23 October 2018
The breakdown of the cases are 34 cases, including two deaths in Perak, 25 cases in Kedah and 24 cases in Selangor.
Deputy Health Minister Lee Boon Chye said the ministry would initiate legal action against the owner.
“We have to ensure that the preparation of food is always clean and safe as this involves public health and safety.
“This is a serious matter, even if it does not involve deaths. Action will be taken. This involves lives.”
He urged the public to report dirty, unsanitary food outlets.
“If you show any symptoms, don’t take it lightly. Go to the nearest hospital,” he said.
Salmonella is often associated with tainted chicken, beef, eggs and dairy products.
For the record, the stall, which was ordered to close on Oct 8, could be operating again soon.
The Health Ministry, in a statement, said the owner, must first take corrective measures and satisfy the Food Act 1983 and the Food Regulations Act 1995.
This is in addition to the 2009 Food Cleanliness Regulation and the requirements of the local authority.
“The stall owner has been informed that if these requirements are met, he is free to reopen his stall.”
The Health Ministry has confirmed that the agent that caused food poisoning in laksa recently was due to the Salmonella enterica serovar Weltevreden bacteria.
Health director-general Dr Noor Hisham Abdullah said pulse field gel electrophoresis (PFGE) tests conducted at the Sungai Buloh National Public Health Laboratory and the Penang Food Safety and Quality Laboratory today found the bacteria in the clinical samples of the patients and the laksa sample.
“The bacteria was detected in the laksa noodle which was bought last Oct 4 at a food stall . The laksa noodle was produced at a processing premises who is also owned by the food stall owner.
“The risk factor that contributes to the food poisoning incident was possibly caused during the process of preparing and storing of the laksa that is not clean, and the temperature during the processing stage which may be inadequate to kill the germs,” Noor Hisham said in statement here today.
The total number of cases remains at 83, including two deaths due to food poisoning after the patients consumed laksa which was bought at a stall in Baling on Oct 8.
Salmonella enterica serovar Weltevreden can cause fever, vomiting, stomach ace and diarrheoa.
10 October 2018
2 deaths. 61 poisoned.