12 January 2018
Utusan had reported that a security guard had said that he had received instructions not to allow anyone to enter the chief minister’s office.
No, MACC didn’t raid my office, says Guan Eng
Penang CM also denies reports that his office was temporarily shut yesterday, says it was business as usual.
GEORGE TOWN: Penang Chief Minister Lim Guan Eng today denied that the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) raided his office yesterday.
He also refuted a report by Utusan Online that his office was temporarily shut yesterday, and that several members of the media who had tried to use the lift at level three to reach the 28th floor in Komtar were prevented from doing so.
Lim said his office was never closed, and that he was still carrying out his duties as usual.
He added that he had been in a meeting with Mohamad Sabu and his strategic adviser Saifuddin Nasution Ismail concerning the Mutiara Food Bank between 4pm and 5pm.
“We never closed the chief minister’s office. Work was still going on as usual, and I was having discussions with Mat Sabu and Saifuddin.
“Of course, when we have any discussions, when I meet Mat Sabu and Saifuddin, don’t tell me we want to meet openly. So why say the CM’s office was closed?
“Also, my office was never raided yesterday. I hope you do not try to tarnish the image of the state government and the CM’s office,” he said at a press conference today.
11 January 2018
Thereporters all went to watch and report on the arrest of LGE. Instead. he bought them light refreshments.
“But thank you for accompanying me on the short walk here to have coffee with me,” Lim quipped.
“Whatever tomorrow brings, let us remember the Penang spirit. We will face it all with equanimity and determination to do what is best, not only for us but for everyone,” he added.
Read more at https://www.malaysiakini.com/news/408365#Ge6hvMpuLPojwbU7.99
Tip-off of Penang CM’s ‘arrest’ proves false
Reporters in Penang went on a stakeout after being given a fake tip-off that Chief Minister Lim Guan Eng would be nabbed by the MACC today over the state’s undersea tunnel project.
By 3pm, many had gathered at the Komtar Tower’s third level where the state’s administrative offices are located.
However, nothing happened.
At 6pm, reporters saw Lim leaving Komtar and they duly followed him as he walked towards Penang Road.
The chief minister headed to the famous roadside Toh Soon Cafe, which is a favourite hangout of his after work.
In a jovial mood, Lim then ordered drinks and toasted bread for the press corps who had followed him.
Accompanying him were several DAP leaders, local councillors and his personal staff.
Guan Eng hints he may not contest in GE14
GEORGE TOWN, Jan 11 — Penang Chief Minister Lim Guan Eng said today that his corruption trial, which will start on March 26, may affect his candidacy in the 14th general elections (GE14).
The Penang lawmaker, who is also DAP secretary-general, said he will have to attend the trial in the Penang High Court which will be held on four to five-day stretches between March and May.
When asked if this will affect his candidacy if GE14 were to fall on that period, he replied “perhaps”.
Lim then questioned the reasons behind the amendments to his charges.
“You are charging a chief minister. Why is there a need to amend the charges now?” he asked.
Yesterday, the Penang High Court fixed the trial for both Lim and businesswoman Phang Li Koon on March 26 to 30, April 9 to 12, April 23 to 27, May 7 to 10 and May 21 to 25 this year.
Read more at http://www.themalaymailonline.com/malaysia/article/guan-eng-hints-he-may-not-contest-in-ge14#2BliWd7rjyAKV1sl.99
Graft trial may affect Guan Eng’s ability to defend seats in GE14
Penang Chief Minister Lim Guan Eng does not discount the possibility of his corruption case hearing affecting his ability to contest in the next general election.
“Perhaps,” he said when asked about this during a press conference today.
The DAP secretary-general is currently the MP for Bagan and state assemblyperson for Air Putih.
Lim is expected to defend the two seats but the trial process would interfere with the campaign period if the election is held in March or April.
Yesterday, the High Court in Penang set 23 days for trial, starting March 26, for the two graft charges involving Lim and businessperson Phang Li Koon.
Lim also said he was surprised with the prosecution’s decision to amend the charge.
“Let the people judge, obviously I am the target. I know I am targeted, we have to face it when targeted,” he added.
Read more at https://www.malaysiakini.com/news/408305#jDUHI3iQyCwCHPVj.99