The hearing of Umno supreme council member Abdul Rahman Dahlan’s defamation suit against PKR vice-president Rafizi Ramli has been fixed for trial for three days beginning Sep 3.
The date was fixed by Kuala Lumpur High Court judge Justice Mohd Zaki Abdul Wahab in chambers today.
Malaysiakini was informed of the date by Rafizi’s lawyer William Leong following case management.
Rafizi was sued over claims about Expo Negaraku, which was organised by the Economic Planning Unit (EPU).
Rafizi alleged that Rahman – who headed the EPU at the time – awarded the RM37 million project to a “brother” due to bearing a similar name to the former minister.
The Jan 30 lawsuit seeks an injunction from the court against Rafizi’s allegations, as well as a published apology.
Rahman is also seeking general, aggravated and exemplary damages, besides costs.
9 January 2018
After Rafizi’s goading, Rahman Dahlan serves legal letter
The minister in charge of the Economic Planning Unit (EPU), Abdul Rahman Dahlan, has finally made good on his three-week-old threat to sue PKR vice-president Mohd Rafizi Ramli for defamation.
In a statement today, Abdul Rahman said he has served a letter of demand, through registered post, on Jan 5 but the hand-delivered copy was only served to a man claiming to be Rafizi’s staff yesterday.
In his statement today, Abdul Rahman did not specify what were the specific statements which he wanted Rafizi to withdraw.
However, should Rafizi fail to fulfil Abdul Rahman’s requests within seven days, legal proceedings would be initiated.
8 January 2018
Rafizi to minister: It’s been three weeks, where’s the suit?
PKR vice president Rafizi Ramli today reminded Minister in the Prime Minister’s Department Abdul Rahman Dahlan that he has yet to sue him for defamation despite issuing the threat three weeks ago.
This was over Rafizi mistakenly naming Raslan Dahlan, who controls the company that organised the Ekspo Negaraku, as Rahman’s brother. Rahman had overseen the organising of the expo.
Rafizi had apologised for the error but said it should not detract from the issue that the month-long expo cost RM37 million.
“Around three weeks ago, or specifically on Dec 14 last year, Rahman issued a statement that he had commenced legal proceedings against me over my comments on Ekspo Negaraku.
“I would like to say that, to date, I am still waiting for the letter of demand from Rahman.
Read more at https://m.malaysiakini.com/news/407984#58mpZPjtMe5pLFOr.99
14 December 2018
Minister sends legal notice to Rafizi over Expo Negaraku mix-up
Minister in the Prime Minister’s Department Abdul Rahman Dahlan has served a legal notice to PKR vice-president Rafizi Ramli for accusing him of nepotism in the organising of Expo Negaraku.In a statement posted on his Facebook page today, Rahman said he has appointed lawyer M Reza Hassan of M/s Raja Riza & Associate to “exhaust all legal means against Rafizi, in order to put his continuous slandering to rest”.
Rahman wrote: “On Monday, Rafizi convened a press conference and accused me of appointing my brother as the main contractor of Expo Negaraku.
At the same press conference, Rafizi had confidently asserted that he had undertaken thorough research and various investigations, the result of which proves that Raslan Dahlan, the CEO of Pico Integrated Exhibits (M) Sdn Bhd, is indeed my brother.
“Therefore, I have been accused of nepotism in discharging my ministerial duties by appointing my family member to benefit from Expo Negaraku.”